Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Loading for the shotgun , cost effective?

I've reloaded all my life basically but never shotgun shells , just never needed that many just for hunting . But since I've shot some shotgun games trap , sporting clays ect . I'm using a lot more . I know what it costs to cast my own bullets and reload them in pistol and rifle but what about for the shotgun ? No slugs or buck just target loads for clays . Is it worth it or is 22 bucks a hundred at walmart still the smarter way of doing things ? Don't plan on thousands of shells a month maybe 200 tops in the warm months .

Tim

(Chester County)

Default Re: Loading for the shotgun , cost effective?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    I've reloaded all my life basically but never shotgun shells , just never needed that many just for hunting . But since I've shot some shotgun games trap , sporting clays ect . I'm using a lot more . I know what it costs to cast my own bullets and reload them in pistol and rifle but what about for the shotgun ? No slugs or buck just target loads for clays . Is it worth it or is 22 bucks a hundred at walmart still the smarter way of doing things ? Don't plan on thousands of shells a month maybe 200 tops in the warm months .

Tim
    Reloaded shotshell many decades but stopped when the cost of shot escalated. Do the math 12 ga 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz (assuming you are reusing the huils):

primer .032
    powder .07
    wad .025
    shot .12
    ----------
    .245 / rnd or $24.50 /100

Not counting your non-recurring cost for equipment.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

That ship sailed 8-10 years ago when shot prices climbed from $16 for 25 lbs to over $30. Now it's around $40-45 for 25 lbs.

Reloading would only be cost effective if you have a free source of lead and can make your own shot (with a shot tower or dripping lead)
    Last edited by Hawk; May 3rd, 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Agree with the above . . . can't "earn" more than a penny or two per 12ga shell at best. You can save more if you're into other gauges.

The only other reason we find to reload is if you can't always get the load you want, eg 7/8oz. Not sure why one would want that though, unless you were trying to save lead while reloading

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    Agree with the above . . . can't "earn" more than a penny or two per 12ga shell at best. You can save more if you're into other gauges.

The only other reason we find to reload is if you can't always get the load you want, eg 7/8oz. Not sure why one would want that though, unless you were trying to save lead while reloading
    Shooting Skeet with 3/4oz 12ga is more cost effective than buying a 410 or 28ga to shoot.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

My dad still has some 30 yr old bags of #8 shot, so it still works out for him.

It works out for me too, because I just have to save his AA hulls.

He did trade a few bags for a shotgun a few years back, so he might be starting to run low.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks all . This would be for 20 ga shells soooooo maybe a hair cheaper than for a 12 but not enough to matter . Yeah I have a ton of lead but making my own shot is not something I wanna get involved in. Even though a tall shot tower would look damn impressive in the back yard ! Looks like Wally World 100 rd boxes are the way for me . Again thanks

Tim

Not really anymore for target loads. But it is hard to put a price on being able to tailor a load to your particular tastes.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Reloaded shotshell many decades but stopped when the cost of shot escalated. Do the math 12 ga 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz (assuming you are reusing the huils):

primer .032
    powder .07
    wad .025
    shot .12
    ----------
    .245 / rnd or $24.50 /100

Not counting your non-recurring cost for equipment.
    Reloading costs always seem to be compared to the low end target shells. I reload to premium shell specs, such as Winchester AA, using high antimony shot and Winchester wads.
    Primers-.027 cents
    Powder-.04 cents
    Wad-.018 cents
    Shot-.11 cents
    Total=.195/shell or 19.50/hundred
    Winchester AA (1 1/8 loads)=$31.96/hundred
    Difference=$12.46/hundred
    In addition, shells can be customized to you specific shooting needs ie 7/8 or 3/4 oz.
    So reloading may not be for everyone, but when comparing costs the comparisons must be for like items. You can't compare a Chevrolet to a Mercedes just because they're both cars.