Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving to PA with current permit from a reciprocal state

A friend of mine will be moving from FL to PA next month. He has a FL CWL, so he can carry into PA as a FL resident. When does that FL permit become no longer valid in PA? The instant he closes on his house? When does PA consider him a PA resident? What I'm looking for is, what does he do in the transition period between him being a FL resident, and establishing himself as a PA resident and applying for his LTCF? In his destination county (Northampton), it looks like it's going to be around the 45 day limit for him to receive his LTCF.

Default Re: Moving to PA with current permit from a reciprocal state

IANAL but the way I see it, when he changes his address to Pa. I would think he is no longer be a FL. resident. Therefore his LTCF as we say here In Pa. would no longer be valid. He would at this point be shit outta luck.

IDK of any law that allows for dual residency. IMO his best bet would be to buy a house here, while still living in FL. . Then move up here with an established residence. Very few county's make a person wait 45 days. That is the maximum time frame allowed by law. In my county it takes about 15 minutes. That includes getting the elevator and parking. IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in with more or better information, but I believe PA would consider him a PA resident as soon as he hands over his FL DL for a PA DL. I think at that point his FL CWL would no longer be valid in PA since he's now a PA resident and is required to have a PA LTCF to legally carry here.

(Jefferson County)

The moment he makes "residency", which is when his stay in PA becomes where he reside(permanent place of living) regardless as to the address on his license/ID. The address on his license/ID is only proof of address of residency.

So, the moment he moves his property in and sleeps his first night - he is effectively a resident.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks, guys - pretty much what I thought. As it turns out, he's going to be up in Centre County later this month, so I advised him to stop in and get his LTCF while still a FL resident. Do they still issue same-day?

(Berks County)

Please post the outcome when all is finalized. It could help others in the future.

Of course a different sheriff later could change the rules.

(Potter County)

When I moved back to Pa. from NY I went to the Sheriff in Potter county before I moved and got my non-res. Pa. license.Then when I was moved in I just had it updated to a Pa. resident. That was 10 years ago and things may have changed. Potter county is very gun friendly,,saw where 53% of the res. have a LTCF highest in the U.S.