Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: How do I start scouting?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'd go with the 'take a compass along and know how to use it' routine. I tried the above method once in heavy woods where I couldn't even see the sun. I did find the road that I knew I would hit if I kept heading that way but I came out about a mile east of where I wanted to. Now I keep an old, functioning compass in my fishing vest.
    Damn late posting! That's what happens after working an extra three hours. I didn't mean to not bring the compass with, but that if one isn't proficient at land-nav, the compass and a little planning can get them to some sort of linear boundary.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Find private property to hunt on if you can. Network with friends, family coworkers etc. to make this happen. Check for red tag farms in your area, this is a great way to make friends with a farmer and secure a place to hunt during the regular season as well as the red tag potential. Don't waste your time hunting areas that don't have deer. Deer activity will change a great deal between now and rifle season especially in areas with heavy hunting pressure as the bow and small game seasons get under way. What you see late in the game is more important than what you'll see now. Head for the thick stuff especially on public land, avoid the open woods. When the shooting starts they will head for cover.
    Red Tag? Is that DMAP? I am assuming I am late to the game with farmers. There are a ton around me but I'm not the only hunter for sure. I can try but seems like a losing proposition in my area. So when do they list them? Seems like they can choose to keep the coupons and only give them to their friends?

I plan to start in bow season when the pressure is low but will will head toward the thick stuff where others are not, seems a recurring theme.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^ plus offer free labor in exchange for the honor of hunting their property. I have 350 acres to hunt by doing just this. The man and his family are friends now.
    You my friend are a lucky man!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Red Tag? Is that DMAP? I am assuming I am late to the game with farmers. There are a ton around me but I'm not the only hunter for sure. I can try but seems like a losing proposition in my area. So when do they list them? Seems like they can choose to keep the coupons and only give them to their friends?

I plan to start in bow season when the pressure is low but will will head toward the thick stuff where others are not, seems a recurring theme.
    Red tag is not Dmap. Send a SASE to you game commission office nearest you and request a red tag list. You are allowed one deer per farm. The season runs Feb 1st through May 16th and Aug 1st through Sep 28th.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234