Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How do I start scouting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Any recommendation on some fairly affordable eyes?
    I have found a good rule of thumb when it comes to optics. The more expensive they are, the better they are.

(Berks County)

Well how about some shitty ones ha ha! I can't see so good lately with the pollen anyhow!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Sitting on your ass asking questions isn't the same thing as doing. Do yourself a favor and get in the woods and start doing. You are way overthinking things.

You need to learn by experiencing things and not asking too many questions. It's like someone that is book smart...they may understand the concepts, but reading a book and actually doing something are completely different.

It's never a bad idea to get into the woods and learn the terrain that you intend to hunt. The pattern of the deer will change from now...to summer, to hunting season.

(Lehigh County)

One item to consider and a good reason to get started now. It is early to mid spring and the greenery has not filled out. If you get to know the area now, it will hardly be recognizable by mid summer. Walls of green will exist where you can see thru them now. In the fall it will thin out again, but not to the degree you see now. By spending time now, you are better approximating the late fall landscape. If you wait until summer to do so, you will have a different experience.

This change in experience is part of the fun of wandering in the woods year round. It can be quite substantial depending on the underbrush. Have fun and good luck. Don't piss off any turkey hunters, they have guns...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

But aren’t there like bugs and snakes in that kind of stuff out the woods? Ewwwww!!

Just playing, yes I agree I need to get my ass out there and that was the intent of this thread was to learn what I’m looking for at the same time motivate myself to get moving on this. You all of been really helpful I appreciate it. I am just needing to take that next step I guess You are right, book smart and practical smart are two different things. Yes I know that all of the greenery will change throughout the seasons but it is good to see it at all times so you have a better understanding of the area. It’s like dipping my toe into the pool, I have to do that before I can start swimming laps.

Thanks for the kick in the ass, I needed that :-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Westmoreland County)

Find private property to hunt on if you can. Network with friends, family coworkers etc. to make this happen. Check for red tag farms in your area, this is a great way to make friends with a farmer and secure a place to hunt during the regular season as well as the red tag potential. Don't waste your time hunting areas that don't have deer. Deer activity will change a great deal between now and rifle season especially in areas with heavy hunting pressure as the bow and small game seasons get under way. What you see late in the game is more important than what you'll see now. Head for the thick stuff especially on public land, avoid the open woods. When the shooting starts they will head for cover.

(Montgomery County)

I've been hunting SGLs for about 6 years now (SGL 43 and 183). I've never encountered any half-drunk cigar smokers. In fact, I've met some very nice helpful people along the way. Go out on Sundays during turkey season, you wont make any friends tramping around while people are trying to call in gobblers.
    Look for obvious easy to get to spots. Avoid those, everyone else knows about them too . Get off the beaten track.
    Onx Hunt is a great program, but HuntStand does the same thing for free (I have both but wont renew Onx). There are some good You-tube videos showing ways to use Google Earth to help in scouting.
    I don't carry binoculars they are too hard to use with my glasses. I do carry a rangefinder that has a 4x magnification.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Find private property to hunt on if you can. Network with friends, family coworkers etc. to make this happen. Check for red tag farms in your area, this is a great way to make friends with a farmer and secure a place to hunt during the regular season as well as the red tag potential. Don't waste your time hunting areas that don't have deer. Deer activity will change a great deal between now and rifle season especially in areas with heavy hunting pressure as the bow and small game seasons get under way. What you see late in the game is more important than what you'll see now. Head for the thick stuff especially on public land, avoid the open woods. When the shooting starts they will head for cover.
    This ^^^^^^^^ plus offer free labor in exchange for the honor of hunting their property. I have 350 acres to hunt by doing just this. The man and his family are friends now.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Buy yourself a Compass ! Easy to learn to use it and will save your butt in every instance if properley used.I never go into the woods without it even if familiar with area,if you have to track a deer you can and will get disoriented !
    Even if you don't "really" know how to use a compass, use a map and determing a direction you can head to reack safety without missing your mark. For example, know that if you head East, you will run into a paved road within a reasonable distance.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    Even if you don't "really" know how to use a compass, use a map and determing a direction you can head to reack safety without missing your mark. For example, know that if you head East, you will run into a paved road within a reasonable distance.
    I'd go with the 'take a compass along and know how to use it' routine. I tried the above method once in heavy woods where I couldn't even see the sun. I did find the road that I knew I would hit if I kept heading that way but I came out about a mile east of where I wanted to. Now I keep an old, functioning compass in my fishing vest.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast