Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: How do I start scouting?

And just remember, as far as you walk in... means you gotta drag that far out.

I slacked last year on it, but if you find a decent spot, try to clear the path in so when you venture in the dark you can do it without making a ton of noise.

Once you find a good spot, take your stand with you and get a idea of how the spot looks from the air. Make sure you have clear shooting lanes etc. I don't have much longer than 20yards, but if you have distance and your bow hunting, either draw a mental map of distance markers, or just tag trees so you don't have to shoot rangefinder before a shot.

Also, grab a small bike reflector thing and tack to a tree where you jut off the trail to your stand area, helps a lot in the dark morning.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I feel like I will be the guy screwing everyone else with my newness. My biggest fear is pissing off other hunters, taking some sort of sacred spot or breaking some etiquette.
    Public land means all "spots" are everyone's spots. The early bird gets the worm. I don't hunt any location that I think someone else may be using for the simple fact that i don't want some half drunk, cigar smoking asshole messing up my hunt. The woods are full of assholes during hunting season, especially where you live. Everyone is an expert, and full of shit. You will piss half of them off just by breathing the same air, so don't sweat it. The vast majority of "seasoned" hunters (which is likely about 90%) couldn't catch the clap from a hooker much less kill a deer without complete 100% shit luck. Those will be the hunters you will piss off. The rest are decent human beings and either won't mind some friendly conversation, or you'll never see them because they're hunting.

(Bucks County)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Public land means all "spots" are everyone's spots. The early bird gets the worm. I don't hunt any location that I think someone else may be using for the simple fact that i don't want some half drunk, cigar smoking asshole messing up my hunt. The woods are full of assholes during hunting season, especially where you live. Everyone is an expert, and full of shit. You will piss half of them off just by breathing the same air, so don't sweat it. The vast majority of "seasoned" hunters (which is likely about 90%) couldn't catch the clap from a hooker much less kill a deer without complete 100% shit luck. Those will be the hunters you will piss off. The rest are decent human beings and either won't mind some friendly conversation, or you'll never see them because they're hunting.
    I am trying to keep that in mind but i just know that I will always encounter the 90% that will spoil my experience. I'm not trying to screw up anyone's hunt, just trying to share the land and learn along the way without getting into a fight.Please tell me archery and going on a weekday will help reduce that risk? I would like some friendly conversation for sure!

You all are helping calm me down and build confidence, I appreciate that! I am always open to learn and never think I am the expert, except in spotting marginally attractive women! I want to learn and be a good steward and teach others when I have myself been taught.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

don't over think this. start small and build on each experience until you have an understanding of an area.

(Berks County)

Oh but I overthink everything, I thought everyone knew that? I ask people if I can use Mobil 1 in my car even though it says it is oil and not motor oil. (I am being facetious)

Archery season almost devoid of hunters. At least in my experience. It's the same old story. Avoid easy access locations and you will avoid the largest percentage of hunters.
    Weekdays should be a ghost town. When the rut begins to peak you will see more hunters, but by then you should have it all figured out.....lol.

(Berks County)

Oh yeah, all figured out for sure.... I'll still be asking the same dumb questions.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Pretty sure it's been mentioned, but it's worth repeating.

You don't (and won't) need to learn every conceivable aspect of hunting in one summer. It's not possible, so just set reasonable goals, expect no return other then personal enjoyment, and go for it. You're just going to stress out over things that you have almost zero control over.

I would avoid annoying Turkey hunters, so head out on Sundays. I have known plenty of people that barely scout, and hardly walk 1/4 mile into the woods, and have been moderately successful, others that have had hardly any success. Hunting is 90% luck regardless of how much effort is put forth. The only difference is how often you want to hit that mark, and that largely depends on what type of person you are.

If you want to scout and get away from a lot of hunters, you will need to get at least a half mile in. Further if the land is easy walking and there are easily accessible trails.

This is what I would do if I were relatively new, and hunting SGL's

Take advantage of the early seasons! Even if it means not getting out much during firearms season. It's a huge opportunity for hunters, and especially novice hunters when deer are more predictable. If you do nothing else, take this to the bank!
    Walk in about 20 minutes.
    Look for heavy cover. Most hunters have this fantasy of a clear 200yd shot with no one else in sight and act accordingly. The deer have other ideas.
    Alternately look for a natural funnel. Preferably leading into heavy cover.
    Don't concern yourself with food. It gets complicated, deer change their feeding habits by hunting season, and everyone else is looking at the same oak tree.
    Find a spot where you can squeak in a 50-70yd shot.
    If you can bring a climbing tree stand and use it, all the better.
    Be prepared to sit all day and see nothing. That's hunting. deal with it.
    Don't worry about gun shots and what everyone else is doing. Most of them don't know shit.
    Don't be the guy that gets antsy, and moves every couple hours, or needs to go get lunch and a beer at noon. Be the guy that scores the deer from the other people doing it.
    HEAVY COVER at the end of a natural funnel is a deer escape route. I have had great success hunting this exact scenario on public land. I go by myself and allow the other hunters to drive deer to me. It works. Relax, enjoy the woods, enjoy watching deer and other wildlife. I recommend buying a good pair of binoculars, at least 8X in power and a binocular harness. Walk a bit then scan. You will be surprised at what you might be missing without them.

(Berks County)

Any recommendation on some fairly affordable eyes?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast