Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Stainless Pins for Tumbling

I figured this would be the most relevant place to post this but I have a question about Stainless Tumbling Pin alternatives. I have a large quantity of .048 spring wire that's just as hard and wondered if I could that since there aren't any suppliers near me & I'm kind of broke. Any thoughts are appreciated

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Stainless Pins for Tumbling

Spring steel will work. But they will also rust during storage and be a mess.

And by the time you wear out a few pairs of wirecutters and develop carpal tunnel syndrome..........a few bucks for the precut pins will seem like a bargain.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Spring steel will work. But they will also rust during storage and be a mess.

And by the time you wear out a few pairs of wirecutters and develop carpal tunnel syndrome..........a few bucks for the precut pins will seem like a bargain.
    I know they'll rust but as a temporary measure it seems they'd work. I could oil them in between but that might contaminate the brass if I don't degrease them first. I have about 2000 pieces of brass that I want to deprime, tumble, & reload and at this point, everything will have to be homemade/brewed until I can afford a proper set up

My diagonal cutters have been through hell & back and keep on asking for more, Channellock made these pretty well. Carpal tunnel will be a problem for me but it's because I'm a mechanic & shooter so I'll take my licks when I get them, it's probably inevitable at this point
    Last edited by mikeybonez28; April 29th, 2018 at 07:06 PM.

Sounds like a lot of work and I don't know that you'd save any money. Those SS pins aren't that expensive and they last a long time.

How can you afford a wet tumbler if you cannot afford the SS pins? I bought mine as a kit.

(Beaver County)

Just tumble without pins.

Multiple users on pistol-forum and AR15.com have reported very good results from wet tumbling your cases with just some armor all wash and wax and lemishine (or equivalent products).

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work and I don't know that you'd save any money. Those SS pins aren't that expensive and they last a long time.

How can you afford a wet tumbler if you cannot afford the SS pins? I bought mine as a kit.
    Can't, going to build one, I have a fair sized random parts box and all I'm missing is a container which will probably be pvc or a wide mouth jar. I won't be able to process a lot at once but it'll get me started. I'm wondering now if I can put my stash of 1/8 - 3/16 ball bearings to good use. They wouldn't be as aggressive as pins but should help with the interior of the cases at least to some degree

@Hroark sounds like an idea, I have quite a bit of wash & wax from my car & work, don't have any lemi-shine but I'm sure I can find some around here.

(Warren County)

pellets llc in N Tonawanda ny makes them thats where I got mine

(Warren County)

lemshine is at most grocery stores in the dish soap area. Pins work much better for cleaning out primer pockets and inside the cases. You want the tumbler to operate at about 60 revs a minute. I built my own tumbler. I can send pics to your phone of mine.

(Tioga County)

I tumble without pins for the initial clean for resizing. If you really want a shine and a removal of primer pocket and powder residue, pins are the way to go.

(Allegheny County)

I got into the stainless pin wet tumbling thing for awhile. Its collecting dust now. I found it to be a big pain. Time consuming, pins everywhere etc.....

May be just my technique but i have givn up on it. Vibratory media for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast