Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: easy slide

Default Re: easy slide

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Let your wife pick her own gun. You are not the one going to be shooting it she is. Take her some place where she can actually shoot a lot of different guns and let her pick one. If you do not do it this way she will not like it and will not shoot it. I have 2 friends that ended up buying 5 different guns until their wives ended up pick the gun they wanted. My wife can shoot all my handguns. Her preference is her Lady Smith and Wesson in .357 mag. Yes it is a revolver. She likes the rose wood grips and thinks the stainless steel looks intimidating.
    I agree with this line of thinking.

At one time I had every popular subcompact, micro 9, and pocket gun there was including a few snub nose revolvers. I layed them all out on the picnic table and told the wife to have at it. Long story short she hated most of the ones I thought she would love and lost my S&W Shield by the end of that day.

I'll second Delkal and Grizz2720: this is precisely the thing a well stocked gun store is useful for. I will supply one anecdote I have...
    An older lady friend of mine with early stages of arthritis got into shooting due to my persuasion. (the fact she and her husband now far outstrip me for guns is hilarious, but irrelevant. )
    She purchased a VP9 as her first gun, primarily because it was the easiest of the full-ish sized 9mm's out there to rack, because of the charging wings. I had totally forgotten about that little aspect of that gun, and that it could be useful. If she hadn't gone gun shopping at a local well stocked store, it might not have been discovered has her answer.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Remember, if the pistol has a hammer that can be cocked, then the slide moves back very easily if cocked forst and then the slide is pulled back and released. Dave_n
    This...

I have diminished hand strength but am able to cycle the slide fairly easily on my Sig 938 by cocking it first.

I thought I was done with semi-auto pistols but that trick is a winner.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gracenrich View Post
    Looking for gun for wife.
    How easy is the slide on the M&P 380 shield?
    The SIG P-250 in .380 has a very easy slide to rack. It is also a soft shooter and can carry 15 rounds. Discontinued model but not too hard to find.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Let your wife pick her own gun. You are not the one going to be shooting it she is. Take her some place where she can actually shoot a lot of different guns and let her pick one. If you do not do it this way she will not like it and will not shoot it. I have 2 friends that ended up buying 5 different guns until their wives ended up pick the gun they wanted. My wife can shoot all my handguns. Her preference is her Lady Smith and Wesson in .357 mag. Yes it is a revolver. She likes the rose wood grips and thinks the stainless steel looks intimidating.
    I second this.. if she doesn't like the feel of it, she will be less likely to carry and use it.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

EZ slide is smooth and hardly any effort required to retract slide.Had opportunity to shoot the S&W it was very accurate recovery to second shot follow up is smooth and accurate and no FTFs or FTEs.Dont get the smith with the saftey it has a recall !

Assuming your wife is RIGHT handed, having her bring the pistol in to her chest with and overhand grip with her left hand and actually RACKING, by pushing out and extending her RIGHT hand is the way to go. With some practice using this method, she could rack any semi auto pistol out there.

(Montgomery County)

Girl caliber???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12