Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Finding references for LTCF when new to shooting

Follow up question: when applying, can I check "self defense" as a valid reason for LTCF? In Suffolk County, NY we are advised to choose "Sportsman" because "self defense" requires you to prove a credible threat.

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Choosing Self defense is just fine in PA. I chose that option, with no issue. Your LTCF will show that as the reason for carry.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tradedate View Post
    Choosing Self defense is just fine in PA. I chose that option, with no issue. Your LTCF will show that as the reason for carry.
    This ^^^^^^^
    Choose the self defense option it covers all bases .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

thanks guys, I'm going to love living in PA!

(Allegheny County)

You don't need a "reason". Just asking for one is all the reason you need - this is a "shall issue" state - meaning barring any prohibiting factor, the license must be issued.
    I suspect the "why" choices are holdovers from years gone by when perhaps you DID need a "reason".
    I've intentionally selected "collecting" (or something) and when I got it, they had changed it to "self defense".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

They used to hold you to those reasons. "When carrying large sums of money" meant you better have large sums of cash on you. Mostly you had to know someone with the power or pull to get one. They used to ask for the gun and you could only carry that one. Now it’s "any gun" but it is shortened from "any gun registered ". You want to know why cop think there is a registry, their you go. If you used your gun and it was now evidence you were sol. We have it good today, but it needs to be better. Sometimes I think people need reminders of how far we have come and be encouraged to keep up the fight as it is winnable. We can get reciprocity. We can get uniformity. We can get hearing protection acts. We can roll back nfa.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    WTF, peeps. We all agree the references thing is BS, right? So why aren't there a bunch of volunteers in this thread offering to fill the spots?

Toddpa - I'll be a reference for you, if you want. Shoot me a PM. One thing though - I live in PRNY. Still legit to use me as a reference, but there's a possibility someone would get their panties in a wad when they saw my address. Thinking back to the Old El Paso salsa commercials back in the day...
    Todd-
    I will be a reference also.

Send me a PM

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Some forms ask they be in county.
    Which is illegal.

But you know that :-P

You make friends fast.
    I've known todd for over a week.
    Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; May 3rd, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Allegheny County)

They used to hold you to those reasons. "When carrying large sums of money" meant you better have large sums of cash on you. Mostly you had to know someone with the power or pull to get one. They used to ask for the gun and you could only carry that one. Now it’s "any gun" but it is shortened from "any gun registered ". You want to know why cop think there is a registry, their you go. If you used your gun and it was now evidence you were sol. We have it good today, but it needs to be better. Sometimes I think people need reminders of how far we have come and be encouraged to keep up the fight as it is winnable. We can get reciprocity. We can get uniformity. We can get hearing protection acts. We can roll back nfa.
    More of that dyslexia... I read that as "hearing protection for cats."
    Wait. WHAT? LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234