Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Finding references for LTCF when new to shooting

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    LTCF is not required to get to the range. No reason to wait, go have fun.

Am I missing something?
    Yeah, I thought it through and the best option I came up with is start shooting without the LTCF and get the LTCF later once I know some people. It can't be actually *impossible* to transport a gun without one, just less convenient, right?

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

The next pafoa group shoot is in June.
    Come on out and meet people!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=331410
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Toddpa I sorry to hear your circle of coworkers and friends are true deplorables. Your right, a ltcf makes life easier for gun owners. The reference part of the application is not legal. It’s there to make things a little harder for the average guy. If you get turned down for not having references they must tell you why in a letter. That usually results in getting approved. Ianal. You should seek legal advise from a lawyer. As you read these responses I think you can figure out why they really don’t call the references often. Vestiges of may issue in a shall issue world. Note that shall issue was fought for by the nra for what you find yourself going through now.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Anyone in Allegheny county ever had a reference contacted?
    uhh, in Chester County... NEVER.

OP should just do what I do and list some neighbors.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Toddpa I sorry to hear your circle of coworkers and friends are true deplorables. Your right, a ltcf makes life easier for gun owners. The reference part of the application is not legal. It’s there to make things a little harder for the average guy. If you get turned down for not having references they must tell you why in a letter. That usually results in getting approved. Ianal. You should seek legal advise from a lawyer. As you read these responses I think you can figure out why they really don’t call the references often. Vestiges of may issue in a shall issue world. Note that shall issue was fought for by the nra for what you find yourself going through now.
    I'd say "deplorables" is a strong word; just because someone differs in opinion on a rightfully sensitive topic doesn't mean you should alienate them. Yes, this should go both ways, but life isn't perfect. You don't ask a vegan friend to pick up a boar's head from the butcher for you, either.

Maybe once I'm shooting for a while and then bring it up, they'd be surprised and then think "oh, okay. I guess it's possible to own a gun and not be crazy, after all". Call it a bit of outreach on behalf of responsible gun owners!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by toddpa View Post
    Maybe once I'm shooting for a while and then bring it up, they'd be surprised and then think "oh, okay. I guess it's possible to own a gun and not be crazy, after all". Call it a bit of outreach on behalf of responsible gun owners!
    I work in a woman-owned and -managed business. I am well-liked and respected because I am both polite and good at what I do. That said, if you've been working here more than a month and don't know I'm a "gun guy" then you're not paying attention. I have had multiple coworkers - mostly, but not all, women - ask for information about shooting, range visits, and purchasing advice. I have already created a safety session, with powerpoint, to expose my boss's teens - who live in PRNJ - to basic safety principles. I'm going to tweak it a bit to make it into the "what I want you to know before I take you to the range" presentation, then schedule a Saturday or Sunday to present it to all interested parties on the big screen in the office conference room. The list of interested parties continues to grow, proving that outreach works.

Quote Originally Posted by toddpa View Post
    I'm trying to get into handgun shooting primarily as a sport and have only short handguns/long guns a handful of times in my life.

I'd like to get a License to Carry (LTCF) as I heard it makes life a lot easier in general when transporting a gun. I need to provide references to do so in my local county (Allegheny), but my circle of friends and coworkers is strongly anti-gun. I don't want to get into politics with them or make my relationship with them weird (especially with coworkers); I just want to shoot regularly as a sport... so how can I find people willing to be a reference? I'm a pretty quiet person, so my network isn't exactly huge to begin with.

Thanks for the advice.
    I'm a little confused.
    Did you take up shooting entirely on your own?
    Your references can be anybody anywhere not related to you.

WTF, peeps. We all agree the references thing is BS, right? So why aren't there a bunch of volunteers in this thread offering to fill the spots?

Toddpa - I'll be a reference for you, if you want. Shoot me a PM. One thing though - I live in PRNY. Still legit to use me as a reference, but there's a possibility someone would get their panties in a wad when they saw my address. Thinking back to the Old El Paso salsa commercials back in the day...

(Bucks County)

FWIW, The references you provide don't have to live in your county. They don't even have to live in PA. I'm not in Allegheny county, but I used references from out of state, and I was never questioned about it at all.

As far as your small group of friends and co-workers, they don't have to be pro gun in order to just vouch for you being a decent human being, on the extremely unlikely chance that they do receive a phone call. If they can't do at least that much for you, then maybe, just maybe "deplorables" is the right word.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast