Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Ruger GP100 Match Champion...in 10MM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Heh. I didn't realize Hi-Point made a 10mm.

How about this? At least you wouldn't be limited to a neutered magazine.

I'm only looking at the Hi-Point because it's a cheap way to add a 10mm carbine to my collection. There's a mod for the .45 version of the Hi-Point that allows you to use 1911 mags. I'm hoping the same mod allows the use of 10mm 1911 mags.

I like the concept of the Extar. Especially intrigued by the .45 acp version. Add a can to that and it would make a pretty nice HD gun. I have a Springfield XDm .45 that I had bought in order to convert it to a carbine using a Mech Tech upper. But, by the time I get it configured the way I want to, the cost (and weight) ends up being a bit more than what I want. Maybe I'll sell the Springfield and buy the Extar instead.

Thanks for posting. Can't wait to tell Mrs Ronin all about yet ANOTHER crazy project gun. She's going to be THRILLED....

(Philadelphia County)

I got to handle one today at the Bunker in Warminster. I LOVE the grips on it. Feels so great in the hand. Price wasn't too bad, $749.

Everytime I say I'm done and there's nothing out there I want, a new "gotta have" gun comes out.

Decisions decisions...

Not to hijack my own thread, but whatever, lol. I reached out to Extar customer service to see what it would take to SBR the EP, specifically if a standard buffer tube would work. I got the strangest response:

"The EP Series Pistols are not "AR pattern" firearms. We're trying not to allow that perception to propagate.
    Though most Fire Control Groups and Pistol Grips seem to be compatible, that is where things end. In the future we may indeed make some options available suitable for our products and who knows what kind of aftermarket may develop as they grow in popularity, but one should not think towards "AR" accessory options when considering an EP Series Pistol."

I guess that's a no?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Not to hijack my own thread, but whatever, lol. I reached out to Extar customer service to see what it would take to SBR the EP, specifically if a standard buffer tube would work. I got the strangest response:

"The EP Series Pistols are not "AR pattern" firearms. We're trying not to allow that perception to propagate.
    Though most Fire Control Groups and Pistol Grips seem to be compatible, that is where things end. In the future we may indeed make some options available suitable for our products and who knows what kind of aftermarket may develop as they grow in popularity, but one should not think towards "AR" accessory options when considering an EP Series Pistol."

I guess that's a no?
    I'd reply with "That's great, but you didn't address my question."

I guess that's a no?
    It sounds like they are trying to say this isn’t one of those deadly weapons of war and not to confuse it as such. This is a good guy gun not a bad guy kid killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It sounds like they are trying to say this isn’t one of those deadly weapons of war and not to confuse it as such. This is a good guy gun not a bad guy kid killer.
    Pretty much the same impression I got and I told them as much. I'll see if they reply and what they actually say, but I'm thinking I'll probably cross that one off the list.

Now, back to the 10mm GP100.... It kills me that there's one up at the Bunker. My birthday is coming up soon, so there's been a moratorium placed on personal purchases for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    None at all over a .41 magnum.

True 10mm Auto loads will outperform the .357 magnum but you have to use full moon clips for positive ejection of the spent cases. Unless your heavily invested on 10mm Auto, don't bother.
    There was a true 10mm magnum revolver round before the .41 magnum. The Herter's .401 Powermag.

.401.jpg

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell401PowerMag.htm
    Last edited by abner13; May 6th, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I queried Ruger if the GP100 in 10mm would be able to shoot .40 S&W (a cartridge I really like, and it is cheap these days). They emailed me the below response:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10080035

The 10MM GP100 will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver.

Ruger Customer Service

I really wanted to know and I am guessing some of you did as well.
    The gun will function just fine with .40 S&W as long as you use moon clips. Ruger is just covering their ass.
    My bad, I was wrong about the 10mm GP100 being able to shoot .40 S&W out of the box. I bought one of the Lipsey's 10mm GP100s back in November. Ran 10 and 40 through it and had a few rounds of 40 not go bang on the first go-round.Second run through the cylinder and the rounds went off. The moon clips Ruger provides with the 10mm GP100s are not thick enough to account for the variances in rim thickness for .40 S&W. And the cylinder is cut to support the full length 10mm cartridge. The solution is to use a thicker moon clip. I bought a set of TK Custom .40 S&W moonclips and they worked great to fix the misfire problem. They're very well made out of stainless steel. But they are expensive - $80 for 10.

AFTER I bought the ones from TK, I came across these Ranch Full Moon Clips for the S&W 646 in .40 S&W. Some of the reviews said they worked great in the 10MM GP100, so I bought two sets of 10. I figured for $9 a set, it was worth a shot. And the reviews couldn't have been more correct. I took my GP100 out yesterday and ran 40 and 10 in the Ranch Products moon clips and they worked flawlessly with both. The TK moon clips are great, but $80 vs $9 is a no-brainer. My only regret is I didn't find out about the Ranch Products moon clips sooner.

So if you're worried about shooting 10mm and .40S&W out of your 10mm GP100 - doesn't matter if it's the Match Champion, Wiley Clapp Edition, or the Lipsey's Blued 5" barrelled hotness that I have - yes you will need .40S&W specific moon clips. But the Ranch Products 646 moon clips will work with both 10 and 40, and will not cost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    It is very interesting but not for me for only one reason. I have too many different calibers now and do not wish to add another.
    Let us not forget that this revolver can also shoot .40 S&W ammo. While I am not a fan of the .40 in a semi-auto, it is a sweet revolver cartridge. This interests me quite a bit and there may be one in my very near future.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    The problem with these graphs is its all commercial ammo, no Underwood, Double tap, or hand loads. My 10mm 150gr handloads are doing about 1550 fps out of a G20 and 1640 out of a G40mos.
    Here are some of underwood offerings (10mm vs 357) and buffalo bore. I would not say 10mm>357.

BRAND:UNDERWOOD AMMO

SKU:648

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    Caliber: 10mm Auto
    Bullet Weight: 140 Grains
    Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator
    Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Brass
    BALLISTICS INFORMATION
    Muzzle Velocity: 1500 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 700 ft lbs

SKU:836

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    Caliber: 357 Magnum
    Bullet Weight: 140 Grains
    Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator
    Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
    BALLISTICS INFORMATION
    Muzzle Velocity: 1550 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 747 ft lbs

SKU:248

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    Caliber: 10mm Auto
    Bullet Weight: 200 Grains
    Bullet Style: Hi -Tek Coated Hard Cast Flat Nose 21 BHN
    BALLISTICS INFORMATION
    Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 694 ft lbs

SKU:720

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    Caliber: 357 Magnum
    Bullet Weight: 180 Grains
    Bullet Style: Hi - Tek Lead Flat Nose Gas Check 21 BHN
    BALLISTICS INFORMATION
    Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 783 ft lbs

Buffalo Bore:

HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
    (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN
    180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400 fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast