Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ruger GP100 Match Champion...in 10MM!!!

The advantage I see of a 10mm over a 41 in a revolver the size of the GP100 or L frame is you get one more round. 41 mag conversions on a GP100 or L frame are only 5 shot. Ballistics for the 41 are noticeably greater for the 41 over the 10mm.
    The Lord Bless You

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

That's a very interesting website...

(Dauphin County)

They make speed loaders for 41 Mag, not? If one was to consider carrying 10mm for personal defense (two-legged or four legged), the advantage is a powerful caliber and quantity. If one decides to carry a big revolver for PD, then why not choose the most potent cartridge available in a particular bullet diameter?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    They make speed loaders for 41 Mag, not? If one was to consider carrying 10mm for personal defense (two-legged or four legged), the advantage is a powerful caliber and quantity. If one decides to carry a big revolver for PD, then why not choose the most potent cartridge available in a particular bullet diameter?
    Recoil management? My dad has several guns in .41 mag. The full horse stuff is hits hard and recoils just as hard. It can be downloaded to mitigate the recoil, but then you're in 10mm territory or even lower. And 10mm will get the job done for anything in PA and most things in NA just as well as .41 magnum. Though I would go with .44 mag or .454 in a revolver if I was in grizzly or moose country.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Recoil management? My dad has several guns in .41 mag. The full horse stuff is hits hard and recoils just as hard. It can be downloaded to mitigate the recoil, but then you're in 10mm territory or even lower. And 10mm will get the job done for anything in PA and most things in NA just as well as .41 magnum. Though I would go with .44 mag or .454 in a revolver if I was in grizzly or moose country.
    Well, we can go round and round here, but if you wanted the reduced recoil of 10mm versus 41 Magnum, then why not carry an auto-loader with higher capacity? (Hint: moon-clips is not the right answer. ). Fully agree on the grizzly choices.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

I queried Ruger if the GP100 in 10mm would be able to shoot .40 S&W (a cartridge I really like, and it is cheap these days). They emailed me the below response:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10080035

The 10MM GP100 will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver.

Ruger Customer Service

I really wanted to know and I am guessing some of you did as well.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I had to bite into the 10mm market with a 1911, but this has me scratching my head as well.

According to what I see on "Ballistics by the inch" - inch for inch assuming a 4 inch barrel, a .357 is averaging ~700 ft/lbs vs a 10mm which ~600 ft/lbs. At the very best they are the same.

10mm :

.357 :

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
    The problem with these graphs is its all commercial ammo, no Underwood, Double tap, or hand loads. My 10mm 150gr handloads are doing about 1550 fps out of a G20 and 1640 out of a G40mos.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Well, we can go round and round here, but if you wanted the reduced recoil of 10mm versus 41 Magnum, then why not carry an auto-loader with higher capacity? (Hint: moon-clips is not the right answer. ). Fully agree on the grizzly choices.
    Because I already have a 10mm auto loader. Now I want a 10mm revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I queried Ruger if the GP100 in 10mm would be able to shoot .40 S&W (a cartridge I really like, and it is cheap these days). They emailed me the below response:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10080035

The 10MM GP100 will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver.

Ruger Customer Service

I really wanted to know and I am guessing some of you did as well.
    The gun will function just fine with .40 S&W as long as you use moon clips. Ruger is just covering their ass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I'm picky about what I buy in 10mm. I have my grail gun - a S&W 1076. Took me 25 years to find one. I never got a chance to buy the S&W 610 when it was being sold and now prices for it are ridiculously high. I prefer Ruger revolvers anyway, so this will check another grail gun off the list. The only other thing I want in 10mm is a semi-auto rifle. But I don't want to spend a mint on a PCC, so I may just get a High Point.
    Heh. I didn't realize Hi-Point made a 10mm.

How about this? At least you wouldn't be limited to a neutered magazine.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast