Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms 553

Default Swiss Arms 553

I think I'm doing it. I've always loved the Sig 556 design, but as you're probably aware, Sig USA fucked it all up and it became a hot mess and a pile of shit. I posted here previously about my Sig 556Xi hard stopping out of the box. Sig did fix it, but it was a perfect example of their new mantra of low cost over high quality.

JDI Firearms, however, is able to import the authentic Swiss rifles and I think I'm going to go for it. https://www.sanswissarms.com

The 553 is build to order, and they're sending me a build sheet tomorrow. From what I understand, you can choose American style magazine receivers or swiss style (requiring the swiss mags), multiple colors, and barrels of 8.9, 10.7, or 13.6.

I'm hoping they can build one as a rifle vs a pistol. If not, I'll just have to SBR the pistol.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Swiss Arms 553

Is this something that only Sig fans would understand?

I don't know what a "556" or a "553" are. I clicked the link, but that site is clearly for people who already know what the product is. There is zero info about the products other than price. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is this something that only Sig fans would understand?

I don't know what a "556" or a "553" are. I clicked the link, but that site is clearly for people who already know what the product is. There is zero info about the products other than price. LOL

Start here. The 550 is a venerable rifle and is what is issued to the Swiss military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_SG_550

Many describe it as a cross between and AK (similar bolt design) and AR (similar receiver design). Although an AR's ergonomics are superior, the Swiss rifles are renowned for quality and reliability. Original 550s command 5 figures in some cases.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765943835

The 553 is a shorter barreled variant.

The 556 is Sig USAs attempt to replicate the firearm domestically. They started out good, using Swiss parts and built some while Sig's QC was good, but they became exponentially shittier as they tried to make them cheaper with each new variant until they finally killed the line in favor of the MCX.

Considering that I'm converting my MCX to a .300 BLK SBR, I think I want the authentic Swiss rifle to be my main 5.56 gun. I really love the design.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks. I was curious so I started Googling.

I see Swiss Arms has a version in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags.

Interesting.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

You and LAV will be in a very small club.

(Perry County)

I have a P556 with arm brace. I love the design but the weight is a lot compared to the AR pistols I've built. No hiccups but the Sig branded diopter sight I bought for it is junk.

Like you, I've been enamored with 553 and was ready to pull the trigger a couple of times and then SBR it. Several of my supplier had them for sale for a bit. Given the price and weight of the pistol, I talked myself out it. I'm looking forward to the range report.

FWIW, my buddy on SERT had the full-auto Swiss made rifle. He didn't care for it. I tried to get him to let me shoot it be he wouldn't. Party-pooper.

A 552 on GB right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/767654436

A 553-- https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766529455
    Last edited by unclejumbo; April 26th, 2018 at 09:28 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I'm leaning towards the 13.66" variant with USA style aluminum receiver, with welded on diopter + picatinny rail. Hoping I can have someone pin/weld a muzzle device to just make it a rifle, if they can't. I have to study the legality of that first. I don't really want a much shorter barrel for 5.56.

How much more do you get for your money going to a 553 vs a 556? For the $$$$$, I would expect a high level of reliability and accuracy. My wife has a 556 Patrol that's she's used for multi-gun competition for years. It's been 100% reliable, but it's combat accurate. For a $700 gun, it's fine, but are you getting that much more from a $2k 553? If it's just a neat to have sort of thing, I can dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    How much more do you get for your money going to a 553 vs a 556? For the $$$$$, I would expect a high level of reliability and accuracy. My wife has a 556 Patrol that's she's used for multi-gun competition for years. It's been 100% reliable, but it's combat accurate. For a $700 gun, it's fine, but are you getting that much more from a $2k 553? If it's just a neat to have sort of thing, I can dig it.
    Hers may be an earlier one, and I also had an earlier one which was great as well.

To have a real swiss gun is one of the "neat to haves" for me. But you also get a high level of reliability, accuracy, and quality with the swiss made guns. It's why they're expensive. Sig had to cheapen them up for the US market, and they still couldn't compete with the AR. Hence the MCX..., which still can't compete with the AR.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Hers may be an earlier one, and I also had an earlier one which was great as well.

To have a real swiss gun is one of the "neat to haves" for me. But you also get a high level of reliability, accuracy, and quality with the swiss made guns. It's why they're expensive. Sig had to cheapen them up for the US market, and they still couldn't compete with the AR. Hence the MCX..., which still can't compete with the AR.
    I can respect that. I would love to own a B&T GHM9, but couldn't justify the price for what would be essentially a range toy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast