Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms 553

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Swiss Arms 553

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Hers may be an earlier one, and I also had an earlier one which was great as well.

To have a real swiss gun is one of the "neat to haves" for me. But you also get a high level of reliability, accuracy, and quality with the swiss made guns. It's why they're expensive. Sig had to cheapen them up for the US market, and they still couldn't compete with the AR. Hence the MCX..., which still can't compete with the AR.
    I like to buy Swiss made stuff. You pay but it is worth it. Quality over quantity for me. I have a 1936 K31. The precision and detail on that rifle is beyond anything else made worldwide at the time. The receiver on that gun is actually SIG made and the barrel by Hammerli. If want to spend that sort of money on a rifle you can't go wrong with the 553.

The one I want is the STG 57 in 7.5 Swiss. These sell for a couple hundred CHF as surplus in Switzerland, obviously can't be imported here except as a parts kit. A few hundred were imported back in the 1960s to 1980s to the USA. Seen only one in person and wasn't for sale.

I'm going for it. I'm going with the 13.66" barrel, aluminum "American" receiver (saves 1 pound too), 1/7 barrel, picatinny rail with flip BUIS. It was either the rail or diopter, and although I would like to have the diopter, I would rather run one of my MROs on the gun.

Also, it has to be imported as a pistol because, you know, "sporting purposes", so them building it as a rifle is out of the question. However, if I pay in full at order, which I will, I'll receive a serial number and can send in the SBR paperwork immediately.

Can't wait!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I like to buy Swiss made stuff. You pay but it is worth it. Quality over quantity for me. I have a 1936 K31. The precision and detail on that rifle is beyond anything else made worldwide at the time. The receiver on that gun is actually SIG made and the barrel by Hammerli. If want to spend that sort of money on a rifle you can't go wrong with the 553.

The one I want is the STG 57 in 7.5 Swiss. These sell for a couple hundred CHF as surplus in Switzerland, obviously can't be imported here except as a parts kit. A few hundred were imported back in the 1960s to 1980s to the USA. Seen only one in person and wasn't for sale.

They build their rifles like they build their watches.

(Allegheny County)

I remember SWATCH watches!!!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I remember SWATCH watches!!!
    Swatch company is the largest Swiss watch conglomerate in the world. They also own the largest Swiss movement maker, ETA. You may remember the funky 80's swatch watches, and that's where they go their start, but now they own many of the big names.

Prestige and Luxury Range
    Blancpain
    Breguet
    Harry Winston
    Glashütte Original
    Omega
    Jaquet Droz
    Léon Hatot

High Range
    Rado
    Longines

Middle Range
    Hamilton
    Certina
    Mido
    Tissot
    Balmain
    Ck Calvin Klein

Entry Range
    Swatch
    Flik Flak

Private label
    Endura

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swatch_Group#Brands

A Bruguet watch could set you back a couple hundred grand.

FYI

(Perry County)

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Are there US made 922r parts available that are compatible? Do the US Sig-made parts fit?
    I am not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Are there US made 922r parts available that are compatible? Do the US Sig-made parts fit?
    I guess I can't say what I think about and/or will do regarding 922r, but yes, there's enough available. This was discussed on ARFCOM.

I've looked into these briefly, for the same reason you have, AK reliability and AR ergos.

What's the thoughts on 551A1s? They are US made from what I understand, but under the old Swiss pattern? Prices come in around the $2k mark, the 553s are north of $3k from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
    I've looked into these briefly, for the same reason you have, AK reliability and AR ergos.

What's the thoughts on 551A1s? They are US made from what I understand, but under the old Swiss pattern? Prices come in around the $2k mark, the 553s are north of $3k from what I recall.
    I have looked at those, and sometimes they come up, but if I continue down this path, I want one with an "Americanized" lower so that I can just use PMAGs instead of the ridiculously expensive Swiss mags.

That being said, I may defer this in favor of getting a machine gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast