Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Unhappy Cumberland County Sheriff no longer signing

I spoke with Thomas Kline, Cumberland County Sheriff, today about signing for a MG. He informed me that during a recent meeting of the Chiefs of Police that signing ATF transfer paperwork was discussed. Many county CLEO sign no problem, some do on special cases and others do not at all. Based on the many responses, the Cumberland County DA, David Freed, has instructed Sheriff Kline to refer all signature requests to the local police of the requestors residence or the PSP. A letter is being prepared by the DA to inform all of the local PD's and the PSP. However, I have already spoken to the PSP and they will not sign. They directed me to the Sheriff. Sheriff Kline is a great CLEO and his office always treated me with professionalism and respect. I am very disappointed to find this out and if you are awaiting a signature, you will be notified in the coming weeks.

I guess I have to use my Corp. for new items.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Cumberland County Sheriff no longer signing

Quote Originally Posted by liberty556 View Post
    Sheriff Kline is a great CLEO and his office always treated me with professionalism and respect. I am very disappointed to find this out and if you are awaiting a signature, you will be notified in the coming weeks.
    He is also ignorant of the law and refuses to talk about being corrected on it:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...t-so-good.html

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Cumberland County Sheriff no longer signing

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    He is also ignorant of the law and refuses to talk about being corrected on it:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...t-so-good.html
    What part of the NFA law is he ignorant of? I never had such a problem with Sherrif Kline. I explained what I wanted to do, gave him time to evaluate my request and he signed four tranfers for me. No problem. I believe it's all in how you approach the CLEO's, but I realize that some just won't budge.

(Luzerne County)

What part of the NFA law is he ignorant of? I never had such a problem with Sherrif Kline. I explained what I wanted to do, gave him time to evaluate my request and he signed four tranfers for me. No problem. I believe it's all in how you approach the CLEO's, but I realize that some just won't budge.
    The link I posted takes you to a thread about a discussion that 338Winmag had with the sheriff. Sheriff insisted that a LTCF meant you *had to* conceal. (IOW, could not open carry)

Which is 100% not correct

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Jefferson County)

Where did the DA get the authority to make the Sheriff refer sign-off's to PSP or Police Chief's?

The Sheriff doesn't answer to the DA, neither do the police for that matter. Its a good thing I'm not Sheriff there, because I would have told that DA where to shove it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The link I posted takes you to a thread about a discussion that 338Winmag had with the sheriff. Sheriff insisted that a LTCF meant you *had to* conceal. (IOW, could not open carry)

Which is 100% not correct
    Sorry, I was talking about NFA issues only. I never discussed concealed carry with him.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs down Re: Cumberland County Sheriff no longer signing

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Where did the DA get the authority to make the Sheriff refer sign-off's to PSP or Police Chief's?

The Sheriff doesn't answer to the DA, neither do the police for that matter. Its a good thing I'm not Sheriff there, because I would have told that DA where to shove it.
    My understanding from communicating with the Sherrif is that he and the DA have some sort of understanding that they will consult with each other on situations like NFA paperwork. It may be politically motivated, I will never know for sure. Maybe the Sheriff just doesn't want the hassle or these NFA weapons bring too much attention. Either way I have more leg work to do to get the weapons. I don't think PSP will even consider signing.

(Northumberland County)

I spoke with Thomas Kline, Cumberland County Sheriff, today about signing for a MG. He informed me that during a recent meeting of the Chiefs of Police that signing ATF transfer paperwork was discussed. Many county CLEO sign no problem, some do on special cases and others do not at all. Based on the many responses, the Cumberland County DA, David Freed, has instructed Sheriff Kline to refer all signature requests to the local police of the requestors residence or the PSP. A letter is being prepared by the DA to inform all of the local PD's and the PSP. However, I have already spoken to the PSP and they will not sign. They directed me to the Sheriff. Sheriff Kline is a great CLEO and his office always treated me with professionalism and respect. I am very disappointed to find this out and if you are awaiting a signature, you will be notified in the coming weeks.

DA's can sign, but doesn't sound as though this one will. Also you can have a judge that hears criminal cases sign. I highly doubt that you will get PSP to sign. They WILL do fingerprints though.

(Cumberland County)

I spoke with Thomas Kline, Cumberland County Sheriff, today about signing for a MG. He informed me that during a recent meeting of the Chiefs of Police that signing ATF transfer paperwork was discussed.
    Did I talk to you today? Did you call Layman's gun shop?

Reason I'm asking is I've been toying with the idea to sell my RR, haven't made up my mind yet, but I've got one.

Donald

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by damcv62 View Post
    Did I talk to you today? Did you call Layman's gun shop?

Reason I'm asking is I've been toying with the idea to sell my RR, haven't made up my mind yet, but I've got one.

Donald
    Hi Don,

Yes, I did talk to you about Class 3 transfers. If you decide to sell yours, please let me know and give me some info about the RR.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast