Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default background check

I have a good one, i have a family member who failed a pics for involuntary commitment. The committed themself as a teenager and by no way was committed by anyone. The hospital contacted their parents to let them know where they were and they couldn't visit for a few days but, after that, they signed themself out on a day pass with their parents then signed themself out a couple days later and never had any other dealing over it. now they can't pass a background check. there is no records at the hospital and the only thing the courthouse has in their computer is a screen that shows petition for 303 was filed. This should be an interesting case. i talked to their mother before i decided to help out before putting money into something that couldn't be won and she stated all the same facts. Anyone ever heard of any thing like this?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: background check

Quote Originally Posted by Tom3404 View Post
    I have a good one, i have a family member who failed a pics for involuntary commitment. The committed themself as a teenager and by no way was committed by anyone. The hospital contacted their parents to let them know where they were and they couldn't visit for a few days but, after that, they signed themself out on a day pass with their parents then signed themself out a couple days later and never had any other dealing over it. now they can't pass a background check.
    Multiple personality disorder?

(Montgomery County)

I have a good one, i have a family member who failed a pics for involuntary commitment. The committed themself as a teenager and by no way was committed by anyone. The hospital contacted their parents to let them know where they were and they couldn't visit for a few days but, after that, they signed themself out on a day pass with their parents then signed themself out a couple days later and never had any other dealing over it. now they can't pass a background check. there is no records at the hospital and the only thing the courthouse has in their computer is a screen that shows petition for 303 was filed. This should be an interesting case. i talked to their mother before i decided to help out before putting money into something that couldn't be won and she stated all the same facts. Anyone ever heard of any thing like this?
    You need to speak with a lawyer that specializes in gun law.
    This kind of thing is generally not a quick fix or easily answered.
    You need to have a consultation with a gun lawyer to get a better idea of where you stand and what kind of process is involved.
    You may want to send a message to Gun Lawyer and ask for a consultation http://forum.pafoa.org/member.php?u=1125.
    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

That's what you call doo-doo process of law.

We have an attorney looking into it. I took them to the hospital and they got a paper stating there are no records on file now waiting to see what the courthouse can find other than just a screenshot of their name and petition for 303 filed. They said they don't have anything on site and will have to check somewhere else tonsee if there's anything on it. I'll update as we get closer to figuring out what happened. i would think that even if a 302 or something got messed up, they wouldn't be signing themself out for a day pass. i don't know if all those laws but, it wouldn't make sense to me.

(Montgomery County)

We have an attorney looking into it. I took them to the hospital and they got a paper stating there are no records on file now waiting to see what the courthouse can find other than just a screenshot of their name and petition for 303 filed. They said they don't have anything on site and will have to check somewhere else tonsee if there's anything on it. I'll update as we get closer to figuring out what happened. i would think that even if a 302 or something got messed up, they wouldn't be signing themself out for a day pass. i don't know if all those laws but, it wouldn't make sense to me.
    You need to be sure your lawyer specializes in gun law.
    A generic lawyer that does not specialize in this area of law will not be your most effective advocate.
    You will also probably spend money on time and procedure that would be avoided by someone that understands the process from experience.
    The best thing to do is sit down with someone that can tell you exactly where you stand and exactly what your options are.
    A generic lawyer will not be able to do that for you.
    Different lawyers specialize in different things, and gun law is a very specific specialty.
    Just make sure you got the right lawyer for the job.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

PICS will run through Federal check as well per PAs criteria which is how they knew a 302 was issued. FYI, 302, 303 ...No go under medical reasons. Keep us posted.
    <a href=http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg target=_blank>http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg</a>

bowkill, What's weird is there's nothing that says 302, just 303 petition filed. i would think a 302 would have to come first. We just can't figure out how it went from self admitted to involuntary committed. They signed in due to a family member doing something they shouldn't so, they checked in to get away for a week so they couldn't be touched. There wasn't a thing wrong mentally. it's going to be interesting.

They signed in due to a family member doing something they shouldn't so, they checked in to get away for a week so they couldn't be touched.
    Was the "Toucher" arrested? Did he or she go before a Judge? Did the victim testify?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Daycrawler, No, it just happened 2 weeks ago and we contacted an attorney. The attorney is an ex DA and a judge. He said they won't do anything in our area for the permit, especially since there's no record on it at a hospital. He's on the board of health also so, he knows the laws pretty well. We'll have to see what happens when we get a court date for them. The Attorney requested any information the courthouse has and they can't seem to find anything other than what it's showing on the screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast