Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default adjusting pistol sights?

I have a taurus 24/7 with 3-dot sights. I am wondering how to go about adjusting the sights.

When I shoot from the right hand the grouping is always to the left of center, and when I shoot with the left hand I usually hit spot-on. This is only with this particular handgun. With my revolver this is not the case (nor is it with my friends XD and Glock)

Is this a problem with my vision or with the sight on the pistol? What's the proper method of re-aligning a sight on a pistol? Should I move the rear sight, or front sight? If I want to move a grouping of shots from left to center (and vice versa), what would I do? Are there diagrams that explain the process of realigning sights on a pistol?

thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: adjusting pistol sights?

see chart: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Typically the rear sight is moved for adjustment. Move the rear sight in the direction that you WANT the group to move. Rarely do you move a front sight but, if you do, adjust OPPOSITE to the direction you want the group to move.

Since you can hit center with left hand but not right I would tend to discount the sights for now.

Have you tried shooting from a rest?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    see chart: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Typically the rear sight is moved for adjustment. Move the rear sight in the direction that you WANT the group to move. Rarely do you move a front sight but, if you do, adjust OPPOSITE to the direction you want the group to move.

Since you can hit center with left hand but not right I would tend to discount the sights for now.

Have you tried shooting from a rest?
    thanks for the target chart and the information on moving the rear sight in the direction I want to group to move. I will shoot from a rest before making a sight change to ensure it isn't an eyesight issue and not a gun sight issue.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by original gunner View Post
    When I shoot from the right hand the grouping is always to the left of center, and when I shoot with the left hand I usually hit spot-on. This is only with this particular handgun. With my revolver this is not the case (nor is it with my friends XD and Glock).
    That sounds more like a trigger control problem. It sounds like you're pushing the gun to the left with your trigger finger when you're shooting right handed. If the sights were off, you'd be hitting to the left when you shot left handed also.

I agree that you should shoot it from a rest before moving the sights. Concentrate on bringing the trigger straight back when shooting with your right hand and make sure that the only part of the gun that you touch with your index finger is the trigger. You want to avoid dragging your trigger finger on the underside of the frame or on top of the inside of the trigger guard.

I'm not familiar with the 24/7 so I have no idea what the trigger is like, but you should also take up the slack on the trigger first and then slowly start to press it back the rest of the way while your sights are aligned on target.

If you're still having trouble, there's an action shoot at the Adams County Sport Handgunners Association next Sunday. It's open to the public. I'm not going to be there but any of the range officers can help you if you're still shooting to the left. Check it out. http://www.acsha.com/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by original gunner View Post
    IWhat's the proper method of re-aligning a sight on a pistol? Should I move the rear sight, or front sight? If I want to move a grouping of shots from left to center (and vice versa), what would I do? Are there diagrams that explain the process of realigning sights on a pistol?
    while i'm not sure you should adjust your sights at this point (as it seems it may be shooter error since you are getting different results with each hand)...

exactly how you adjust the sights varies from pistol to pistol. however, to adjust left or right, you typically move the rear sight in the direction you want the group to move. so, in your case you would move the rear sight to the right.

if you have adjustable sights, then there is some easy way to adjust them (which varies depending on the kind of sight it is). if you have a fixed rear sight you can usually move it with a homemade sight tool...which for me consists of a vice, a couple blocks of wood, a rag, some clamps, and a skinny brass punch.

i use the wood and clamps as a jig to hold the slide in place against one side of the vice (with a rag between the slide and vice jaws to protect the finish on the slide).

i then position the punch so that one end rests against the sight and the other end against the other jaw of the vice. while holding the punch in place with one hand, use the other hand to tighten the vice. this forces the sight to move in the dovetail of the slide.

note that you don't need to move it very far to move the group an inch.

i know this isn't the most detailed description, but if you play around with it, you should be able to figure out a way to rig something up. i would suggest *not* using a hammer with the punch as the force of the strikes could break the sight...especially if it is a night sight--you could break the tritium vial.

(York County)

In order to help you solve a problem, you stated that you have shot
    groups with the left and right hand. I would like to know which is your
    "MASTER EYE"? also, are you naturally right handed or left?
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    In order to help you solve a problem, you stated that you have shot
    groups with the left and right hand. I would like to know which is your
    "MASTER EYE"? also, are you naturally right handed or left?
    That's a point I didn't even think of. It's pretty common for people to be cross dominant (ie. right handed but left eye dominant).

OG, if you're cross dominant, you're going to be better off shooting with your left hand. If you can't make that transition, it might be easier for you to shoot with the isosceles stance rather than the weaver.

(York County)

INFORMATION FOR ALL: FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR NOTE:
    MONOCULAR AND BINOCULAR VISION.
    Vision with one eye is referred to as monocular. With both eyes it is referred to as binocular. Even though a paerson has two eyes, that does not always mean that they possess binocular vision. There are instances when the eye which has the poorest vision (the non-dominate eye) is not included in the act of vision, and the person actually uses just the one eye (the dominant
    eye) to see. Some shooters are cross eye dominant, i.e.. right handed and left eye dominate or left handed and right eye dominate.
    ALL SHOOTERS SHOULD BE CHECKED FOR EYE DOMINANCE PRIOR TO SHOOTING ON THE RANGE FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    In order order to determine a shooters dominate eye, the
    should hold their hand in fron of their face, and make a ring with the index
    finger and thumb. Looking through the ring formed by the fingers, the shooter
    should focus on a small object a short distance away, then alternately close
    the left eye and then the right eye. The dominate eye will be the one with which the shooter sees the object as un-shifted (remaining in the ring). If a
    shooter is determined to be cross eye dominate, there a few things a Firearms Instructor should do.
    1. Modify the shooting stance to bring the dominate eye in line with the sights, being careful not to unlock the wrist or cant the shooters hand at a
    angle. This can be best achieved by turning the shooters head on its axis.
    (This method cannot be accomplished effectively with shoulder weapons).
    2. Instruct the shooter to keep the dominate eye closed when shooting.
    3. Instruct the shooter to learn to shoot with the non shooting hand, which
    will be on the same side as the dominate eye. (This technique should only be
    used with firing of shoulder weapons, and as a Last Resort.)
    This was Quoted, from my Firemans Instructor Training Course Manual, provided by the Training Academy of The United States Secret Service.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"