Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Need help choosing a pistol

My father is looking for a mid-sized carry gun similar in size to a G19. Specifically, he likes the Sig P228 or P229, but we are having a hell of a time finding a used one locally. I'd like to get other options in case he decides to expand his search.

His criteria:
    Similar in size to a G19 or P229
    Either DA/SA or possibly striker fired WITH a safety
    9mm

I really only know Glocks and he is convinced he will shoot himself with one. So I need some help giving him options.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Need help choosing a pistol

Ruger SR9C or SR40C. Striker fired with safety, about G19 sized. I have the 40 and it is pretty good.

(Allegheny County)

Something to think about for a carry gun. You didn't mention your fathers experience level so...I also assume he's right handed!

Striker fired handguns have the same trigger pull all the time (and a rather light and semi short pull). DA/SA kind of sucks because they typically have a that long and hard first pull and then a very light short pull for the remaining rounds.
    I find that beginners have a smaller learning curve and generally do better with a striker fired pistol.
    With a DA/SA handgun, almost 9 times out of 10 beginners will want to always cock it for the first shot. This can be problematic if not corrected right from the start, for a weapon that will be used for self defense. DA/SA revolvers fall into this trap too.
    I would suggest a DA only pistol before I would recommend a DA/SA.

Man, those two SIG's are great guns, but not for a beginner (if he is). I would also be hesitant to CC them due to their size and bulk.

You can't go wrong with the G19. Just tell him that as long as a pistol is holstered the gun is safe regardless of it's mechanical safety.

Budget pistol that meets his requirements = Taurus Millennium G2
    Last edited by Hawk; April 24th, 2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Franklin County)

I'll second the Ruger SR9C suggestion (great trigger, manual thumb safety). Also the Smith & Wesson M&P M.2 line, and S&W Shield are reliable, as is the Springfield line with grip safety, or the new Springfield XD-E with thumb safety. These are mid-range priced pistols, reliable, and have good customer service.

(Philadelphia County)

Would a vp9 work?

(Bucks County)

m&p 9c with a thumb safety?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Carbon County)

I had a ruger sr9c

jamomatic

traded it
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Susquehanna County)

if at all possible go to a commercial range and rent a few of the type you want and see what fits you best.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

A CZ75 Compact variant.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Something to think about for a carry gun. You didn't mention your fathers experience level so...I also assume he's right handed!

Striker fired handguns have the same trigger pull all the time (and a rather light and semi short pull). DA/SA kind of sucks because they typically have a that long and hard first pull and then a very light short pull for the remaining rounds.
    I find that beginners have a smaller learning curve and generally do better with a striker fired pistol.
    With a DA/SA handgun, almost 9 times out of 10 beginners will want to always cock it for the first shot. This can be problematic if not corrected right from the start, for a weapon that will be used for self defense. DA/SA revolvers fall into this trap too.
    I would suggest a DA only pistol before I would recommend a DA/SA.

Man, those two SIG's are great guns, but not for a beginner (if he is). I would also be hesitant to CC them due to their size and bulk.

You can't go wrong with the G19. Just tell him that as long as a pistol is holstered the gun is safe regardless of it's mechanical safety.

Budget pistol that meets his requirements = Taurus Millennium G2
    My dad is not an experienced shooter. He has his mind made up and will not carry a gun that's not either DA/SA or has a safety. I'm a Glock fanboy - believe me, I've tried to convince him.

Quote Originally Posted by Christen View Post
    Would a vp9 work?
    I'm not seeing a safety on that - did I miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    m&p 9c with a thumb safety?
    That looks like a good option. In fact, we shot a friend's shield and he did very well with it. I'm guessing this will be very similar for him. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    if at all possible go to a commercial range and rent a few of the type you want and see what fits you best.
    We are looking into that also. I just needed to know the other options first so I knew what to ask for. I didn't find anyone with a P228 or P229 to rent yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    A CZ75 Compact variant.
    This also looks like a good option. Thanks.

As far as the Ruger guns, I have heard enough questionable things about the Ruger guns to make me second guess their reliability. I suppose it's a last resort option though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast