Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Need help choosing a pistol

They do make an aftermarket thumb safety for Glocks. They are not overly expensive, and I'm pretty sure any competent gunsmiths could do that job rather easily.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Beretta PX4 storm. Great ergonomics and Beretta-reliable. The Compact carry is actually slightly smaller than a G19, and holds 15 in the magazine.

(Chester County)

Take Dad to the shootin' range and let him shoot some rental guns to see what fits him. That's the best way to find out what he's comfortable with.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Beretta PX4 storm. Great ergonomics and Beretta-reliable. The Compact carry is actually slightly smaller than a G19, and holds 15 in the magazine.
    I’ll recommend the PX4 as well because it’s my EDC ....but as others on here have said ,go to a range and try different options .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Lancaster County)

It was touched on early. I never thought I’d recommend a Taurus but at $225 new the G2C can’t be beat. I shot a friends recently and was pleasantly surprised.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Monroe County)

FNS9 and FNS9C are both strikerfire with optional safety.

FNX9 DA/SA

+1 for M&P 9 2.0 compact and PX4

I would stay away from the sr9c since the safety is tiny and hard to manipulate

(Cumberland County)

Not sure if this advice was given yet. When I narrow down a carry purchase, I always bring up the firearm to a predetermined spot on the wall. Which ever one feels the most natural to sights lining up thats the one I go with. The angle of the glock grip doesnt work for me but the Sig does. Not saying it will be the same for everybody and with enough practice I could over come that with muscle memory I am sure. But, like most have said. Get to a range or club and try a few out.

(Franklin County)

I'll throw another into the mix for you.
    S&W SD9ve.
    If he likes the overall size of the G19 then he will like the SD, they are practically the same size.
    Their operation and function is basically the same as well, with no safety though. The SD is a budget minded pistol but they are reliable. I prefer a smaller pistol to carry (a G26) but I wouldn't hesitate to carry my SD for defense if I wanted something in that size range, actually the SD grip feels better to me then the Glock grip, it's not as square and blocky. The SD takes criticism for it's long trigger pull, so it won't give you much to brag about at the range, but who cares, it's a defensive firearm, AND he may feel better about not having a safety once he checks out that long hard trigger pull.
    Anyway, if he likes the G19, the SD is another good option.
    Last edited by ray h; April 30th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.
    The Hostler

(Schuylkill County)

Well none of this matters anymore. He has now completely changed his mind about what he wants, and he is not taking my advice. Now he wants a 9mm target pistol that is "super accurate" instead of a carry gun. He is very new to pistols and doesn't even know how to properly grip one, let alone shoot a tight group. He also wants one that is capable of mounting a red dot. And now he is not as concerned about the safety. So basically the opposite of everything he wanted before.....

I can't find much about local ranges with rentals. There is one in Reading, but their selection kind of sucks. Not much else around that I can find. I'm pretty sure he's just going to buy something and then decide if he likes it. I appreciate all the advice, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
    Well none of this matters anymore. He has now completely changed his mind about what he wants, and he is not taking my advice. Now he wants a 9mm target pistol that is "super accurate" instead of a carry gun. He is very new to pistols and doesn't even know how to properly grip one, let alone shoot a tight group. He also wants one that is capable of mounting a red dot. And now he is not as concerned about the safety. So basically the opposite of everything he wanted before.....

I can't find much about local ranges with rentals. There is one in Reading, but their selection kind of sucks. Not much else around that I can find. I'm pretty sure he's just going to buy something and then decide if he likes it. I appreciate all the advice, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears.
    Here are a few ranges that have a decent rental selection. All are within an hour drive of Orwigsburg:

http://www.encksgunbarn.com/indoor-range/

http://www.tropgun.com/range.php

http://thesportsmansshop.com/shooting-range/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast