Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Doe Tag Questions

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Good for you. Now your getting it.

For the first time in I don't know how long i'm not bothering putting for a second doe tag. My second tag is always 3A, but it's been so many years since I even bothered to hunt in 3A i'm just passing this year. I have a 2H, and a DMAP for near where I often hunt. I have too much venison as it is......problems, problems.

Yeah, I got my doe tag from Wayne Co. earlier this week. I also bought a DMAP tag for two different areas. Not that I actually think that I'll have the time to fill even one of them. But I can hope, can't I? It does give me options if I do get a chance to get out a few times.

And I'd recommend to learn to butcher your own game. It's not difficult, but does take a little time. But the end result is WAY better than processed. No fat left on. No hair on the meat. I can watch for discolored meat or anything that appears to be tainted. I take all the meat off first before I ever cut the spine or any joints and I use a separate knife for each, just in case the deer has CWD. I won't go spreading cerebro-spinal fluid all over my meat. Any meat that looks bad becomes bait for trapping.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Good for you. Now your getting it.

For the first time in I don't know how long i'm not bothering putting for a second doe tag. My second tag is always 3A, but it's been so many years since I even bothered to hunt in 3A i'm just passing this year. I have a 2H, and a DMAP for near where I often hunt. I have too much venison as it is......problems, problems.

Yeah, I got my doe tag from Wayne Co. earlier this week. I also bought a DMAP tag for two different areas. Not that I actually think that I'll have the time to fill even one of them. But I can hope, can't I? It does give me options if I do get a chance to get out a few times.

And I'd recommend to learn to butcher your own game. It's not difficult, but does take a little time. But the end result is WAY better than processed. No fat left on. No hair on the meat. I can watch for discolored meat or anything that appears to be tainted. I take all the meat off first before I ever cut the spine or any joints and I use a separate knife for each, just in case the deer has CWD. I won't go spreading cerebro-spinal fluid all over my meat. Any meat that looks bad becomes bait for trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

You also have the luxury of knowing you have the same deer you shot coming back to you unlike when you drop one off to be processed.

[QUOTE=Hodgie;3828025]

Do you process your own Animals?

It’s something that I feel I should know and be doing myself. At the same time it would be a sin to do a terrible job and destroy an animal.
    I have always done my own. it's a ton of work, but well worth all of it.

[QUOTE=PAwhitetailbowhunter;3828041]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

You will learn. I did and I just watched youtube videos and trial and error. I haven't purchased beef in like 10 years. My daughters and I just had a wonderful back strap meal this evening as a matter of fact. But I agree with God's Country...everyone asks for free Venison and Jerky and all, but they really have no idea the time and effort that goes into the proper hunting and proper processing that goes into getting EXCELLENT table fare. I think they are all accustomed to gutshot hunters giving away gutshot tasting meat or something. The venison I put on my table is worth more per pound to me than any meat I could buy in a grocery store. I would be willing to trade some for a good rack of lamb though...
    Lol something got quoted all fucktarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

LOL arrr!

i wouldn't let anyone process my deer. Even if i fucked it up years ago it was likely better than most processors.
    That is what ticks me off about people wanting some of my spoils. They think it just finds itself into my freezer.

You also have the luxury of knowing you have the same deer you shot coming back to you unlike when you drop one off to be processed.
    Bingo! When you drop your deer off you may get the steaks from your deer, but anything ground or processed is going to be a percentage of all the poor kills made that day.

I'll do it myself.

Someone needs to start teaching a class on it.

Easy peasy. I learned from a book with good pictures. The stuff available on line today is great. Nothing got wasted. Worse case it got ground.

Seriously, just try it. You'll laugh when you see how easy it is. The time investment is the biggest cost.

ETA:

Seriously if you were closer......

That said anyone crazy enough to trek on up for any reason or hunts locally i would have no issue showing them. It's just that simple.
    Last edited by God's Country; August 3rd, 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Easy peasy. I learned from a book with good pictures. The stuff available on line today is great. Nothing got wasted. Worse case it got ground.

Seriously, just try it. You'll laugh when you see how easy it is. The time investment is the biggest cost.

If I get one this season I'm going all in and doing it.

If I get one this season I'm going all in and doing it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Cook.../dp/086573108X

This is the book I started with. Think I purchased it at Dunkelberger's in the 80's

Keep it simple, and move on from there.

ETA: Great illustration, showing all the muscle groups
    Last edited by God's Country; August 3rd, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

(Wayne County)

https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Cook.../dp/086573108X

This is the book I started with. Think I purchased it at Dunkelberger's in the 80's

Keep it simple, and move on from there.

ETA: Great illustration, showing all the muscle groups
    Yep. I used the same book. Can't recommend it enough. Good recipes, too. No hunting tradition in my family. I nad to teach myself. The first one is slow because you'll be unsure of yourself. But think of it this way, it's just meat. You can't break it. And you're going to cut it into smaller pieces to eat anyway. As long as you pay attention to keeping it clean and sanitary, you're fine. Make a butchering table for the garage out of saw horses and plywood about 18" x3'. Cover the plywood with a couple garbage bags for a clean surface. You can use them to throw away scraps later.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast