Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Doe Tag Questions

Reading the guide from 2017-2018 and getting familiar. Yes I know to read the 2018 one when it come out ha ha!

So, I am a little confused so I'll explain what I need to do.

Okay, for 1st application I will send it in on the date in July or do you send it in a day or three before? Is there a strategy as to when and what treasurer you send it to? I see you can send it to any. So, what does the date mean?

In that application I pick a unit. I also have a 2nd and 3rd choice in case from what I understand I can do. I assume I can send my sons in the same envelope when I do this if say he starts to hunt? I know, I need to focus on me learning so I can teach him but just curious.

So, for 1st round unsold, I see the following:

Unsold licenses in 2B, 5C and 5D:
    Applications for an unlimited number of licenses in these WMUs can be made by mail only beginning Monday, August 7, 2017. Over-the-counter sales in these WMUs begin Monday, August 28, 2017.

So, what does that mean? Should I have a strategy? I would assume that I should apply for another tag if there are unsold ones, say in 5B where I live or do I apply for the one in 5C or will that be available at the end of August?

Just trying to determine what the strategy should be. I also assume I can send in my sons as well with mine when the time comes that he will hunt?

In my head, I apply in early July when the date is you all recommend, apply for a unit I want. Then in August at 1st unsold, I apply for a 2nd unit I want. Then at the end of August I apply for 5C? Or can I apply for 5C and 5B lets just say in the 1st unsold in August and get them both then?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Doe Tag Questions

My strategy:

I hunt 3D 5C & 5D. 5 c&d have a seemingly endless supply of tags. 3D will sell out so I deal with that first.
    The application day is always a Monday so I mail it to my local county, putting it in the mailbox on the Friday before. That way it arrives Monday and not before.

1st choice is 3D. 2nd is 5C 3rd is 5d
    Second round. I choose 5C, 5d. Mail on the Friday before they start issuing
    Third round I chose 5d, 5C. Again the Friday before.

You can include applications from a couple people in one envelope. There are instructions on the link envelope.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    My strategy:

I hunt 3D 5C & 5D. 5 c&d have a seemingly endless supply of tags. 3D will sell out so I deal with that first.
    The application day is always a Monday so I mail it to my local county, putting it in the mailbox on the Friday before. That way it arrives Monday and not before.

1st choice is 3D. 2nd is 5C 3rd is 5d
    Second round. I choose 5C, 5d. Mail on the Friday before they start issuing
    Third round I chose 5d, 5C. Again the Friday before.

You can include applications from a couple people in one envelope. There are instructions on the link envelope.
    I think I understand?

So, send in the Friday before the Monday sale date, got that.

So, for my 1st application, put down my three choices with most urgent one 1st. I can also send my sons in the same envelope. Is it one check or 2?

So, for the second round, I thought I could literally get 3 of the 5C if I wanted? Not that I want that, just wondering if technically I could send in 2 applications, one for 5C and one for 5B? How does that work if I want to get two at that mailing? Do I list both on the same application? Same with my son when he hunts, likely not this year like I said as I need to learn 1st. ;-)

Third round same question as second round.

Maybe I am just dense.

(Montgomery County)

To echo Remington788, definitely send it to your local county treasurer since the treasurer can give you any WMU. When I first started hunting I would send my 2G and 4A applications to the county treasurers of Clearfield and Huntingdon and by the time they got there, sometimes they would be sold out. I typically drop mine in the mail the Saturday before and send it to the local treasurer to assure that doesn't happen. To answer the question of order, you've got it down in your last few sentences. 5C is selling out faster than usual the last few years, so definitely send it as soon as possible during third iteration at the end of August. I do that and I typically can still get 2 5C or 5D tags without any trouble. If you wait, they haven't been making it to OTC as regularly
    Opera Non Verba

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I think I understand?

So, send in the Friday before the Monday sale date, got that.

So, for my 1st application, put down my three choices with most urgent one 1st. I can also send my sons in the same envelope. Is it one check or 2?

So, for the second round, I thought I could literally get 3 of the 5C if I wanted? Not that I want that, just wondering if technically I could send in 2 applications, one for 5C and one for 5B? How does that work if I want to get two at that mailing? Do I list both on the same application? Same with my son when he hunts, likely not this year like I said as I need to learn 1st. ;-)

Third round same question as second round.

Maybe I am just dense.
    You can send in one check if you want. I recommend doing 2 especially if are applying for separate WMUs that way if one is sold out you don't have any issue.

After the first round, you can apply for more than one tag in those special regs areas in one application for yourself. You're reading it correctly Again, IMO send in separate checks if you are going for 5B (non special reg) and 5C in the second round to avoid missing out on both
    Opera Non Verba

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateCarry View Post
    To echo Remington788, definitely send it to your local county treasurer since the treasurer can give you any WMU.
    I did not know that. Thanks!

(Berks County)

So:

So, for my 1st application, put down my three choices with most urgent one 1st. Just send one check as I will only get one tag.

So, for the second round, I send in one application for 5C with 5B as a back-up. I also send a second application in the same envelope with 5B and 5C as a back-up. I send two checks, each one covers 1 license? Whatever the fee is for one license I write out a check for each so two checks each for $9 or whatever?

Third round same as second?

(Montgomery County)

So:

So, for my 1st application, put down my three choices with most urgent one 1st. Just send one check as I will only get one tag.

So, for the second round, I send in one application for 5C with 5B as a back-up. I also send a second application in the same envelope with 5B and 5C as a back-up. I send two checks, each one covers 1 license? Whatever the fee is for one license I write out a check for each so two checks each for $9 or whatever?

Third round same as second?
    That's the way I would do it. I've sent in for a 5d and 4a in the second round at the same time and not had an issue thus far.
    Opera Non Verba

(Berks County)

At the end of the day, I'll be happy to get any deer, I am just trying to hedge my bets as far as where I may be hunting so that is why I ask about the strategy. I'll only take one deer if I can and that is optimistic ha ha! Hey, you never know, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!

So, to confirm (I'm bad like that as you all know:

1st round in July, send in one application for my top choice and have a 2nd and 3rd to be safe. Send 1 check for $X.xx Circle one application enclosed.

2nd round early August, send in one application for 5B with say 5C as a back-up. Send another application in for 5C with 5B as a back-up. Send in two checks, each for $X.xx. Technically I should 99% get the 5C one and if 5B has any unsold I will get that too? Of quite possibly I could get 2 of 5C if 5B is sold out? Circle 2 applications enclosed.

3rd round if I need to, same procedure as second round.

(Montgomery County)

At the end of the day, I'll be happy to get any deer, I am just trying to hedge my bets as far as where I may be hunting so that is why I ask about the strategy. I'll only take one deer if I can and that is optimistic ha ha! Hey, you never know, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!

So, to confirm (I'm bad like that as you all know:

1st round in July, send in one application for my top choice and have a 2nd and 3rd to be safe. Send 1 check for $X.xx Circle one application enclosed.

2nd round early August, send in one application for 5B with say 5C as a back-up. Send another application in for 5C with 5B as a back-up. Send in two checks, each for $X.xx. Technically I should 99% get the 5C one and if 5B has any unsold I will get that too? Of quite possibly I could get 2 of 5C if 5B is sold out? Circle 2 applications enclosed.

3rd round if I need to, same procedure as second round.
    That should work. I've never had an issue doing something similar when I put in for my anterless permits with the Delaware County treasurer
    Opera Non Verba

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast