Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: LIberal Gun Owner

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Im all 1000% for the test to vote.
    Just go back to how the founders intended and limit it to land owners over 25 years old.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I am actually a liberal libertarian... but still pretty liberal. I always see posts of "those liberals" and it is interesting. Almost all of my friends are liberals. My parents are die hard hippy liberals. My grandparents are/were liberals. Almost all of us own, have owned, or support owning guns. I think some of us advocate things like licenses to ensure proper skill and maybe understanding of the law (like a drivers license)-- a few probably would be OK with people not owning an uzi or bazooka. But hunters, and family protectors, and just enthusiasts.

Am I really the ONLY liberal gun owner on this site? Do people really think that there are no liberals, democrats, etc that own guns and like guns?
    do you think you should be required to be 21, have a background check with fingerprinting, take a course at a cost of several hundred dollars on the constitution and pay a fee every few years to maintain that licence?

should you have to show that licence every time when voting?

and before you say voting doesn't harm people like you can with a gun, think about the hundreds of thousands killed in all the countries by bush and obama/clinton because people voted for them
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Allegheny County)

Wow.. thought there might a few others here. Definitely didn't think it was going to be a troll and flame festival.

Like I said. Most of my family are liberal.. and most of them already own guns. I am serving overseas right now with the Air Force after twenty years in the Navy. Most of the liberals here are also pro-gun. I guess everyone is so busy making the other guy "the bad guy" you don't see us out there.

But I guess I am the idiot for looking to feel welcome on the forum and see what is out there. Maybe find some others with similar views on things. I guess I'll take my guns, go home and shut up since this is obviously not a very friendly place.

Sorry for wanting to join the club. My mistake for poking the hornet nest.

I didn't share my personal opinions-- just some of my families. But if you are ASKING for my opinion.. I think when you are making a purchase, you should have to read the laws of the state and answer a few basic questions. I don't think you need to pay for a course, but I think you should have to be able to answer the questions to demonstrate the basic safety knolwedge you would to shoot on a firing range. Maybe ten questions to ensure you know "the rules of the road" while you fill out your paper work. Doesn't even need to be a "license" like a card, but a "yes. This guy understands he can't do--- X" Read a pamphlet, or watch a ten minute video, then answer 15 questions of the laws of the state. I did it before I bought my first gun in Pennsylvania. Before I filled out the paperwork for conceal carry. Just seems logical that you should know your rights and responsibilities.

And if you want to ask this liberal about gun control-- here is my answer. The only proven, scientifically proven, solution to gun violence is the same for all violence-- reduction of poverty. People who have jobs tend not to rob and kill and go insane on their neighbors. The only secondary proven solution to stop gun deaths is to reduce suicides, which make up almost half of all gun deaths. So the "liberal" in me tries hard to work on those two issues.

There.. a liberal gun owner's point of view-- didn't come here to preach.. just was seeing who was around. Didn't come here originally to share my politics.. but since you asked.
    Last edited by Stickler; April 23rd, 2018 at 05:27 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow.. thought there might a few others here. Definitely didn't think it was going to be a troll and flame festival.

Like I said. Most of my family are liberal.. and most of them already own guns. I am serving overseas right now with the Air Force after twenty years in the Navy. Most of the liberals here are also pro-gun. I guess everyone is so busy making the other guy "the bad guy" you don't see us out there.

But I guess I am the idiot for looking to feel welcome on the forum and see what is out there. Maybe find some others with similar views on things. I guess I'll take my guns, go home and shut up since this is obviously not a very friendly place.

Oh cut it out....
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lehigh County)

Sorry to hear you are not willing to give it a try. We do have our official Democrat gun owner and a few others, but they keep a lower profile. We have a good number of Libertarians and not necessarily conservative ones, and are willing to hear all sides. All we ask for is facts, not dogma, and a bit of tolerance of the antics of some of the more 'active' members. Don't take it personally as it is not intended that way 99% of the time!

Your approach did not exactly allow you to come in and sample our wares and get a feel for the place, thus the poking the bear response. Stay around and see what you can find in common. If you are truly a gun and shooting kind of person, you will find much to like, a bit that can be off putting, and some true silliness, but that is the balance that makes this one of the better groups out there IMO. Not a place for the thin skinned.

I, like many on here, find it difficult to see how Liberal and Libertarian coexist in the same plane. I for one have no problem with the 'classic liberal' and have quite liberal views on many subjects. The problem is the progressive left has co-opted the 'liberal' name to the point that 'classic liberalism' is becoming extinct.
    Last edited by gghbi; April 23rd, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Washington County)

For clarity's sake, are we talking Elmer Fudd liberal gun owner, or spree shooter liberal gun owner?

(Lancaster County)

There.. a liberal gun owner's point of view-- didn't come here to preach.. just was seeing who was around. Didn't come here originally to share my politics.. but since you asked.
    If you're not interested in talking politics, then maybe you should reconsider starting political threads.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

GGHBI, fair enough. I thought I was being pretty open and maybe my wording didn't resonate with the message I was putting out there. And I had not intention of "leaving" just shutting up. It is hard overseas to get info and such.

But I'll tell you how this liberal libertarian looks at things.
    1. The liberal in me believes that the government has an important role in our lives: military, clean water, protecting the forest and natural resources, providing affordable education-- and yes healthcare (not Obamacare-- that is an insurance scam-- but some sort of basic healthcare-- even if it a yearly check up and free emergency services). And of course: roads, utilities, crime, etc.

2. The libertarian in me knows that you cannot regulate thought. If someone is a bigot, you cannot pass a law and stop them. If there is a public accomodation (hotel, restaurant, clothing store) you should have to sell people your stuff because people's money is green. But you can't make people Christian, atheist, kind, bigots, like a certain class of people, etc. No one should tell you who to, or not to marry. No one should force someone to hire you. If your neighbor bought property and takes all the grass away and puts gravel and it lowers your property value then tough luck. your thoughts, your property, etc., are yours. As long as you aren't poisoning the air, the water, or making others unsafe-- government has no business. That goes for corporate and farm subsidies, and the like.

So I spend a lot of my career, working systems to make it possible for everyone to have the opportunity to be healthy, seek employment, be safe. I am frustrated that most state and federal programs are designed for people to fail. Nevertheless, I am there fighting the fight.

And as far as guns. I am for responsible ownership. So-- like I said about a license.. I just want to know that people know the law of the state. It would be nice to have a document that says they are aware that they only put the finger on the trigger when they are ready to shoot. They treat the weapon as if loaded at all times. Staple that shit next to their receipt. I really don't care what gun you own. ALthough, I would be happy without people owning a bazooka or an uzi.

I am also a peaceful person. I will have an EDC, because I think the world is getting more violent. I also will be making every choice to avoid ever having to pull it. I used to keep all my weapons in gun locks and ammo FAR away, because my theory was that most people who would rob you are cowardly people who will run away. I lived in Butler for a few years and changed my mind on that. I absolutely LOVE to shoot on the range. My pride and joy this year was my Ruger Mark IV. And it will be till I get my Baretta Px4.

The liberal in me is totally against the NRA. Not because I am against gun rights. I just don't think the NRA is either. I think they are about gun sales. The libertarian in me left the ACLU because I used to think they were about Free Speech.. and now they are about an agenda or Orwellian speech. When the Southern Poverty Law center says that a moderate Muslim is a terrorist because he believes that moderate Muslims should not be allowed to make reform in their religion-- I left that crew.

Didn't like Hillary. Really don't like Trump. Don't believe there ever was a war in Christmas.

There-- liberal libertarian short version.

What is an Elmer Fudd liberal??

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you're not interested in talking politics, then maybe you should reconsider starting political threads.
    What I meant was.. I didn't come to start a "I am right.. you are wrong" conversation. I was just seeing who was out there. I do see a lot of "driving through liberal states" and "the liberals that"...

Just wanted to know if there were any "liberals" on the board, in a general sense. I realized that it was like an Eagles fan walking into a Steelers bar.

(Clearfield County)

Something about this thread and this user really doesn't pass the smell test with me. I think its how he keeps repeating the phrase "bazooka or uzi".....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast