Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CP Bullets

(Lehigh County)

Default CP Bullets

I was digging and found I have a goodly quantity of 178gr lead SWC 45 lead bullets from my IPSC days. They are CP bullets 'Competition Proven'. It does not appear they are still selling bullets so I was trying to find out how these compare with others on the market today and what they might be worth. There are at least a couple thousand in sealed boxes of 500.

Any one out there remember these and can give me some guidance? I also found several boxes of other weights (not CP) also. More when I get back to them later this week. I do know I ran these with Bullseye powder and got good results.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Beaver County)

Default Re: CP Bullets

I sell my 185 SWC Hi-Tek coated for $91 per 1k. So $75-85 is fair for an lubed bullet I think.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Ah, memories. CP bullets were the king of cast bullets back in the mid-80's. They used a hard blue lube that was less smokey and messy than alox derived lubes. CP bullets was owned by John Ricco the inventor of the 9x23 cartridge (which Winchester modified slightly and stole) and who eventually bought Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA (since sold - twice over, I believe). The bullet company was run by Herb Baker who went to Classic Pistol with John and worked with him there. Herb has since passed.

Most commonly used for IDPA were CP's H&G 68 200 grain semi wadcutter. John used to shoot with the club out of Target World in Chalfont, PA which also gave us Walt Rauch (deceased), Les Baer, Frank Behlert (son of Austin), Randy Hollowbush and Doug Koenig. I believe that John still teaches some classes at Classic Pistol.

As to the worth of the bullets you have, I would imagine that it would be commensurate with currently produced cast bullets - it's not like they wear-out.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

See the classifieds if you want some, thanks for the history lesson Pizza Bob.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est