Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default SGL range mag limits

If you have ever shot at virtually any public outdoor range across the nation, there are no magazine limits. When someone needs to check Or change their target they call “cease fire”. Every one steps back from line and “clear” is called. People can then proceed downrange. This system works and it works well. Everyone is happy. What is the states reasoning for these ludicrous mag limits? Before someone answers that it’s safety or courtesy let me tell you that last year is was the only person at the 25 yard range. No one else. I was firing 10 rounds from magazine and a game officer gave me a written warning

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SGL range mag limits

Quote Originally Posted by Sig210 View Post
    If you have ever shot at virtually any public outdoor range across the nation, there are no magazine limits.

Did you try explaining that to the game officer ?

Unless you can get them to change the rules.. you either follow the rules or find a better place to shoot..

(Allegheny County)

If you were at the Wexford range, you should have seen the posted mag limit rule. It’s there and easy to see.

Although I agree that 6 seems ridiculous to me, the fact is that you must obey the rules of whatever range you shoot at - or get a fine and hopefully an understanding that rules are to be followed by all patrons.

I called the PA game commission awhile back and suggested rather than focusing on a 6 round handgun limit, the signs should be for shooters not to handle their firearm when anyone is down range. Haven’t been back but hoping they will consider my suggestion. Now that is a safety rule !!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    If you were at the Wexford range, you should have seen the posted mag limit rule. It’s there and easy to see.

Although I agree that 6 seems ridiculous to me, the fact is that you must obey the rules of whatever range you shoot at - or get a fine and hopefully an understanding that rules are to be followed by all patrons.

I called the PA game commission awhile back and suggested rather than focusing on a 6 round handgun limit, the signs should be for shooters not to handle their firearm when anyone is down range. Haven’t been back but hoping they will consider my suggestion. Now that is a safety rule !!!
    I am questioning why 3 and six rounds are the mag limits. Why were these numbers chosen?

(York County)

I am questioning why 3 and six rounds are the mag limits. Why were these numbers chosen?
    Lowest common denominator: 3 rounds in a shotgun, 6 in a revolver. They don't want those folks with low capacity guns to have to wait for the guy with a 30 round mag to get all his rounds down range. I agree there's got to be a happy medium on round count, but I certainly don't expect the government to be reasonable anytime soon...
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Lowest common denominator: 3 rounds in a shotgun, 6 in a revolver. They don't want those folks with low capacity guns to have to wait for the guy with a 30 round mag to get all his rounds down range. I agree there's got to be a happy medium on round count, but I certainly don't expect the government to be reasonable anytime soon...
    I would agree with the lowest common denominator theory for the reasoning for the permitted round count but the limitation is because of all of the A**holes using public ranges back in the day. Mag dumps while hopping around on bench tops and what not.

As far as low cap guys waiting for a guy to finish a 30 round mag, I don't think so. When I sit down to shoot, I expect to be able to shoot uninterrupted for at least 15 minutes. It's not my problem if someone wants to check their targets every three shots, that's what a spotting scope is for.

Full disclosure, I quit going to public ranges 30 years ago so that I no longer have to deal with silly rules.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Have you ever been on a range where everyone stops shooting after three or six rounds and goes downrange to check their targets and then returning to their shooting stations to begin the cycle again ad infinitum?

It's not a state rule.
    It's a PGC rule. They are a private entity (more or less)
    They own the ranges not the state, so they make the rules.

They are public ranges, however they PGC maintains that their primary focus is to provide a place for hunters to practice with their hunting arms, thus the rule.
    Like it or not. Fair or unfair that's the way it is.

(Montgomery County)

Have you ever been on a range where everyone stops shooting after three or six rounds and goes downrange to check their targets and then returning to their shooting stations to begin the cycle again ad infinitum?
    No.
    Generally, I swap out to another 20 or 30 round magazine with 3 rounds loaded in it. I find it good practice for mag changes.
    If I want the range to go cold, I lock open my action, insert a chamber flag and step back from the bench. Other shooters who are shooting 3-rounds at a time see this and do the same. In short order, everyone notices and the range goes cold.

At my club range, the same process, except you can have someone shooting 30 rounds and so it can take a lot longer.

(Monroe County)

Well let's look at who makes up the PGC and the 12 people who they surveyed to keep semiautos out of hunting-
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast