Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: serial numbers

(Berks County)

Default Re: serial numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Databases are filled with information. Without a doubt, we have member on this forum who are not, who they say they are. So if those members want to find out who John Doe really is, they run X Y Z and find out. Then they get his name, address and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    There is an effort to correlate data from multiple sources and the effort may be more extraordinary than we suspect.

Post a pic with your car on the What do you drive thread and we know everything you post is associated to that vehicle. Suppose I also have access to DMV records. You post the same car pic on facebook... we know your family, friends, location. Use the same username on another site and it is accessed by the same IP as other sites... Post a pick of a bump stock two years ago on POOFA and we already know your facebook personal info (where to find you), what you drive (how to find you)

ISPs have correlation data from your DNS requests unless you are using a VPN

I think it's a matter of letting the cat out of the bag. You can't get it back in
    Big Brother is watching and by the time you figure it out it is too late. Will they have Robocops to come and clean house?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyers View Post
    Here is my mind set...If its my gun registered to me what could "you" do with those numbers to hinder me in any way". But I am open to education on this.
    If there is no Federal gun registry and no state gun registry, how is the gun registered to you?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    If there is no Federal gun registry and no state gun registry, how is the gun registered to you?
    While there is both state and federal law prohibiting "registration", there are tens of thousands of records held by the PSP which document certain types of firearm transfers that occur here. While SCOPA has also ruled that the system as it currently exists is not a 'registry', it most certainly is a means by which a serial number pictured online could be connected with other personal identifying info, beyond the "screen name" associated with it - depending on how/when/where the firearm was obtained.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Big Brother is watching and by the time you figure it out it is too late. Will they have Robocops to come and clean house?
    We do everything but correlate the data at work. It's part of being prepared for incident response.
    We would correlate the data regarding certain target machines after an incident in the investigation phase. There are people with much deeper pockets who correlate ahead of time and then you just have to trust them to not misuse the data

(Allegheny County)

Aside from handguns, running my numbers will lead you to one of the previous owners.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    While there is both state and federal law prohibiting "registration", there are tens of thousands of records held by the PSP which document certain types of firearm transfers that occur here. While SCOPA has also ruled that the system as it currently exists is not a 'registry', it most certainly is a means by which a serial number pictured online could be connected with other personal identifying info, beyond the "screen name" associated with it - depending on how/when/where the firearm was obtained.
    I'm well aware of the ROS database and its misuse. Thank you for commenting and explaining how the information could be used/misused.

I posed my question to the OP on the assumption that he believed there was actual complete registration of guns in PA (not just the PSP ROS), and I was hoping he would respond to prove or disprove my assumption.

(Lackawanna County)

I have no idea why some folks bother. Are there some people who would rather not put their information out there for one reason or another? Sure, I'm quite certain. But perhaps it's just me having grown up in an era of Big Brother watching you, I really don't bother to hide much of anything. I don't advertise certain facts, such as my phone number, but I'm not crazy enough to deliberately try to hide. If they want information on me, whoever wants it already has it. For example, the PATRIOT Act has been around for most of my life. Perhaps older folks can hide themselves or have an established presence they want to hide, but me? I don't bother. Sorry for rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by westscoutguy View Post
    I have no idea why some folks bother. Are there some people who would rather not put their information out there for one reason or another? Sure, I'm quite certain. But perhaps it's just me having grown up in an era of Big Brother watching you, I really don't bother to hide much of anything. I don't advertise certain facts, such as my phone number, but I'm not crazy enough to deliberately try to hide. If they want information on me, whoever wants it already has it. For example, the PATRIOT Act has been around for most of my life. Perhaps older folks can hide themselves or have an established presence they want to hide, but me? I don't bother. Sorry for rambling.
    Interesting point. Younger people have been brought up in the era of cell phones, computers, facebook, google, cameras everywhere, smart wear like watches, LoJack devices in cars and others having easy access to information about people.

Personally I would prefer others not knowing anything about me besides what I want people to know. But lack of privacy is one of the prices we seem to pay in the modern technology age. For someone like me who grew up on stories like 1984 it does cause a bit of cognitive dissonance.

(Allegheny County)

I post too many gun pics to dick around trying to edit them or only take pics of the side without the number.
    I thought about it when I first started posting here, but quickly decided it wasn't something I was concerned with.

Here, maybe the overseers would like the number on my bayonet too?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The same reason most don't post photos of our faces, family member names, street addresses.... because it's personnel information YOU DON'T NEED.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast