Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: serial numbers

(Cumberland County)

Default serial numbers

I have read through some other posts. I see sometimes when a person asks a question they get labeled. I really hope that doesn't happen for me as I would like to stick around for awhile. So the question is..." Why cover serial numbers? And for that matter license plate numbers? Here is my mind set...If its my gun registered to me what could "you" do with those numbers to hinder me in any way". As far as cars go you could go to any walmart parking lot and pick a plate. Is it something i am not seeing. Just a general discussion I do not want to get crazy with the replies please. But I am open to education on this.

Default Re: serial numbers

Databases are filled with information. Without a doubt, we have member on this forum who are not, who they say they are. So if those members want to find out who John Doe really is, they run X Y Z and find out. Then they get his name, address and so on.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Erie County)

Someone had suggested that covering a serial # on a firearm, a LEO would have to get a search warrant to see that serial #.

The rationale was to keep overzealous cops from using the state "registry" to see if the firearm was in the "registry", and keeping that firearm if that firearm wasn't in the "registry".

The need to having an exposed license plate is countless.

Imagine, if over the PA system, a blue, Ford Focus is going to be towed, unless moved, how many people would need to reply.

Or, they got away in a white Chevy Malibu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Berks County)

Privacy is little valued today but then zuckerburg and it's a big deal untill congress is payed by him to kick dirt on it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyers View Post
    I have read through some other posts. I see sometimes when a person asks a question they get labeled. I really hope that doesn't happen for me as I would like to stick around for awhile. So the question is..." Why cover serial numbers? And for that matter license plate numbers? Here is my mind set...If its my gun registered to me what could "you" do with those numbers to hinder me in any way". As far as cars go you could go to any walmart parking lot and pick a plate. Is it something i am not seeing. Just a general discussion I do not want to get crazy with the replies please. But I am open to education on this.
    Me personally, the reasoning behind it is strictly privacy. I just consider that type of info as private. I wouldn’t post publicly any info I feel is private.
    DL Ss#’s
    Address
    Telephone #
    Birthdate
    Firearms sn#
    Lic plate
    Etc

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyers View Post
    That's a fine question, and my simple answer is: I haven't a clue.

Live TV does either blur registration plates, or go out of their way to omit showing real plates. If you see a registration plate on a TV show it's most likely a fake. It's kind of like Hollywood using 555 for telephone prefix in every show.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Just a privacy and/or paranoia thing. There's nothing someone can do because they know the SN of a gun you own. I read guys saying someone could claim you stole it; good luck with that. I see it a lot on the CMP forum with Garands especially.

Whatever, doesn't affect me and more privacy isn't a bad thing. Now if you're trying to sell a gun and won't show me everything including the SN, I laugh and move on. Won't deal with someone who tries to hide stuff during a sale.

(Berks County)

Oh no, another crazy new guy asking weird questions...

Welcome to the site. I'm just busting on ya.
    The other above posts covered it IMHO.

Most people on forums use screen names and many are not comfortable letting other know who they really are. May be a similar mechanism at work. People just don’t want to put too much info about themselves out there.

Sure you can see many license plates in a parking lot. But if we meet in real life I am not going to introduce myself as Internet Troll, I will use my real name. That does not mean I am comfortable putting my name out there on the site just like I am not comfortable putting my license plate on the site for everyone to see.

(Allegheny County)

There is an effort to correlate data from multiple sources and the effort may be more extraordinary than we suspect.

Post a pic with your car on the What do you drive thread and we know everything you post is associated to that vehicle. Suppose I also have access to DMV records. You post the same car pic on facebook... we know your family, friends, location. Use the same username on another site and it is accessed by the same IP as other sites... Post a pick of a bump stock two years ago on POOFA and we already know your facebook personal info (where to find you), what you drive (how to find you)

ISPs have correlation data from your DNS requests unless you are using a VPN

I think it's a matter of letting the cat out of the bag. You can't get it back in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast