Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Open carry (without a permit) question

How are you planning on transporting your firearm into PA to "open carry". If you cross the boarder with it loaded in your car (or on a bike) it's considered concealed until you are on foot.
    Toujours prêt

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How are you planning on transporting your firearm into PA to "open carry". If you cross the boarder with it loaded in your car (or on a bike) it's considered concealed until you are on foot.
    Wrong and wrong.

"Carry in a vehicle" requires a license (from ANY state) whether the firearm is loaded or not. "Carry in a vehicle" is a separate situation which requires licensing by statute. The firearms is NOT "considered concealed."

*There are a few very limited and specific scenarios where one may be able to carry/possess a firearm in a vehicle without a license, none of which appear to apply here based on the details provided by the OP.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Wrong and wrong.

"Carry in a vehicle" requires a license (from ANY state) whether the firearm is loaded or not. "Carry in a vehicle" is a separate situation which requires licensing by statute. The firearms is NOT "considered concealed."

*There are a few very limited and specific scenarios where one may be able to carry/possess a firearm in a vehicle without a license, none of which appear to apply here based on the details provided by the OP.
    According to the OP, he doesn't have a LTCF that covers him in PA.
    So you are saying it's not illegal for him to be in his car with a loaded handgun on his hip in PA? This is the context of my previous post and the question I raised.
    Last edited by Hawk; April 21st, 2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I do not transport loaded firearms in New Jersey. Ever. New Jersey allows for the transportation of unloaded firearms (and locked) to a gunsmith or gun range, the latter of which is what I do in Pennsylvania. It is a detailed process, but it works and it is legal. And like GN said, I can legally carry in a vehicle in PA with any carry permit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I do not transport loaded firearms in New Jersey. Ever. New Jersey allows for the transportation of unloaded firearms (and locked) to a gunsmith or gun range, the latter of which is what I do in Pennsylvania. It is a detailed process, but it works and it is legal. And like GN said, I can legally carry in a vehicle in PA with any carry permit.
    I agree, if that is the circumstances of the transport. My previous question was how you were planning on transport, and my warning if you were going with a loaded firearm in the vehicle in PA without a LTCF.
    Toujours prêt

(Franklin County)

According to the OP, he doesn't have a LTCF that covers him in PA.
    Disagree.

Post #8 says he has a PA LTCF that *HE* "considers to be invalid", because it does not have a current address. While he technically no longer qualifies to be issued a PA LTCF (lack of license in current home state), unless/until the old license is revoked or expires, it most certainly IS valid. His feelings are irrelevant.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I've got a feeling you're hedging just a bit about what your full intentions are. Unless you are asking about "open carry" while at the range you're using to provide legal cover, which seems odd.

You can't "legally" transport to the range, then open carry here and there, and then return home "from the range". The law allows directly to/from the range with no other stops or destinations. Merely making it the first stop on your travels doesn't clear you to OC the rest of the time you're here.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I agree, if that is the circumstances of the transport. My previous question was how you were planning on transport, and my warning if you were going with a loaded firearm in the vehicle in PA without a LTCF.
    It is statute number 18 pa csa 6106 and is exception #11 to the statute. I never thought I would need it, but I am grateful it is there now that I do!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I've got a feeling you're hedging just a bit about what your full intentions are. Unless you are asking about "open carry" while at the range you're using to provide legal cover, which seems odd.

You can't "legally" transport to the range, then open carry here and there, and then return home "from the range". The law allows directly to/from the range with no other stops or destinations. Merely making it the first stop on your travels doesn't clear you to OC the rest of the time you're here.
    What transpires in PA has no bearing on NJ. For the NJ resident to be legal while in NJ, he/she must be going directly to and from a range and his/her abode. So long as the first destination in PA is the range, his transit is legal. And so long as his departure is from the range to go home, his transit is legal. ...this is to be legal while in NJ. That intermediate time between range visits cannot be regulated by NJ, it becomes solely a PA law thing.

For while in PA, he would need a license from any state while in the vehicle and open carry to be unregulated while on foot(no SoE, not inside Philly).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    What transpires in PA has no bearing on NJ. For the NJ resident to be legal while in NJ, he/she must be going directly to and from a range and his/her abode. So long as the first destination in PA is the range, his transit is legal. And so long as his departure is from the range to go home, his transit is legal. ...this is to be legal while in NJ. That intermediate time between range visits cannot be regulated by NJ, it becomes solely a PA law thing.

For while in PA, he would need a license from any state while in the vehicle and open carry to be unregulated while on foot(no SoE, not inside Philly).
    Completely agreed, noting that we currently ARE under a SoE, so OC on foot currently is regulated.

If my thoughts about his "invalid" PA LTCF are accurate, he's ok. If he's right about it being "invalid", then he's got a problem - with PA, not NJ.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast