Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Training

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Training

    Looking for some info on advanced pistol training in the York area but am willing to travel. I was not sure were to post this? I am proficient with a handgun but seek training on close quarters combat, weapon retention and other more advanced topics. Any info would be greatly appreciated as too an individual or "school" type of atmosphere?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    4,786
    Rep Power
    2043636

    Default Re: Training

    We're offering this class in August.

    http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_co...se_handgun.htm

    Randy Cain was mentored by Louis Awerbuck and Ben Salas worked with Steve Tarani.
    Tony
    412.310.7838
    http://www.fireinstitute.org

    "... there's trained and untrained" (Denzel Washington -- Man on Fire)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Drtjnky View Post
    Looking for some info on advanced pistol training in the York area but am willing to travel. I was not sure were to post this? I am proficient with a handgun but seek training on close quarters combat, weapon retention and other more advanced topics. Any info would be greatly appreciated as too an individual or "school" type of atmosphere?
    bravo on your commitment to go train. Let me give you some advice though, before going for more advanced skills, take a basic pistol class first with a tactical shooting school. Years ago before i started formal training i thought i was proficient. I took a basic pistol course with tactical response and i could have written a book on all the stuff i didn't know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Newtown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,998
    Rep Power
    803875

    Default Re: Training

    Luckily, York is right down the road from Harrisburg, which is a training hub for PA:

    http://www.f-r-i.com/

    http://www.insightstraining.com/en_us/

    (esp: http://www.insightstraining.com/en_u...tSched2007.pdf )

    ...then there are other trainers who make stops. Bookmark these and check regularly -- not every one will be at Harrisburg every year, but at least one or two make it per year:

    http://www.tridentconcepts.com/index.aspx

    http://www.rangemaster.com

    http://www.defense-training.com

    These people come to Hollidaysburg about once a year; sometimes for pistol, sometimes rifle:

    http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

    Here's the speciffic thing you're looking for:

    http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=286

    ...but I would NOT take this as your first-ever class.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    4,786
    Rep Power
    2043636

    Default Re: Training

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    We're offering this class in August.

    http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_co...se_handgun.htm

    Randy Cain was mentored by Louis Awerbuck and Ben Salas worked with Steve Tarani.
    There is a prerequisite for this course.

    You need a certificate from a school or instructor with whom we are familiar.
    Tony
    412.310.7838
    http://www.fireinstitute.org

    "... there's trained and untrained" (Denzel Washington -- Man on Fire)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Training

    Thanks for all the responses and I will have to look into all the info you have shared. This is not going to be my first handgun class. I have taken the two basic NRA offerings as well as some classes offered by a company were I used to live, Select Fire in Glen Burnie MD. Select fire offers some good classes, or they use to and cover the, basics beyond the basics, if you know what I mean. Do any of the people listed have a "home" range were one could go and meet in person or perhaps provide an assesment type situaton so one could avoid taking numerous classes that cover what would probably be old material? I am not saying there is anything wrong with a refresher but it could get a little costly? Thanks again for the help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Training

    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Here's the speciffic thing you're looking for:

    http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=286

    ...but I would NOT take this as your first-ever class.
    I know this is a touchy subject for some, but i wouldn't give my money to Suarez. There's other other people out there who offer what he does without the questionable past and the shit attitude.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Newtown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,998
    Rep Power
    803875

    Default Re: Training

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I know this is a touchy subject for some, but i wouldn't give my money to Suarez. There's other other people out there who offer what he does without the questionable past and the shit attitude.

    The past and the attitude are things we all have to decide about.

    But I disagree that what he teaches is so easily found elsewhere. E.g., how many AK-specific rifle classes do you see out there for the general public?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Training

    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The past and the attitude are things we all have to decide about.

    But I disagree that what he teaches is so easily found elsewhere. E.g., how many AK-specific rifle classes do you see out there for the general public?
    Gomez runs one, if you're lucky with sonny puzikas. Yes, gabe does join them occasionally. Close quarters gunfighting can also be had through southnarc.

    Gabe definitely knows what he's doing, but I'm not giving my money to the likes of him.
    Last edited by MarcS; February 28th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Firearms training
    By 27hand in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 19th, 2013, 05:23 AM
  2. Handgun Training
    By kishmann in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: April 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
  3. Training Recommendation?
    By Cole in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
  4. formal training
    By jimskb in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
  5. Training
    By CCinPA in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2006, 07:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops