Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Something to think about before using a gun to help someone.

Helping people is good, but you do have to be prepared to deal with potential consequences.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/woman-su...ficer/19843786

Woman sued after shooting man in fight with Indiana officer

Woman hailed as hero for helping officer gets sued by family of man killed

RISING SUN, Ind. —
    A woman hailed a hero for helping an officer is now defending her actions in court.

Justin Holland was allegedly fighting with a conservation officer when a woman shot and killed him.

Advertisement
    Holland's family is now suing her, the officer and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

The civil suit was filed Feb. 15, nearly a year to the day since Holland's death.
    It alleges excessive deadly force, but friends are coming to the defense of the woman at the center of it all.

Kystie Jaehnen fired the shot that killed Holland on February 20, 2017.

According to police, an off-duty conservation officer responded to a 911 call just outside Rising Sun.

Jaehnen believed the officer was in trouble, grabbed her gun and shot the suspect.

"Over and over, I've seen publicly people say, 'No good deed goes unpunished,' and this could not be a more dramatic example of exactly that," said Jaehnen's attorney Guy Relford.

"Where a person uses reasonable force in self-defense or the defense of a third person they cannot be held, quote, 'in any legal jeopardy whatsoever,' end quote. And any legal jeopardy whatsoever unquestionably includes civil liability or being a defendant in a civil lawsuit," said Relford.

The lawsuit alleges Jaehnen used "excessive and unjustified deadly force in shooting and killing" Holland.

The family's attorney, Blake Maislin, told WLWT, "This was a traumatic loss and there's a lot of answers they don't have on why somebody this young got killed."

A GoFundMe has been set up by an Aurora police officer to help Jaehnen pay for her legal defense.

Sergeant William Halbig, writes Kystie, "should be commended, but instead she is being sued."

"I think that they make a great point," said Relford. "Not only should Kystie not be punished, but we shouldn't discourage other folks from doing the right thing when someone is trying to hurt or kill a police officer."

Relford hopes to have the case dismissed, but the family's legal counsel believes they have a strong case.

Prosecutors decided not to charge Jaehnen with a crime after investigating the shooting

Default Re: Something to think about before using a gun to help someone.

while I know it would set bad precedent, I would have hoped the police union would have come to her aid, in the same way she came to the aid of one of their own.

(Montgomery County)

Indiana has Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground.
    I would hope she can counter sue for attorney fees etc.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Wyoming County)

There is a "GOFUNDME" set up by one of the officer's to assist with her defense.

https://www.gofundme.com/kystie039s-best-defense

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

The family's attorney, Blake Maislin, told WLWT, "This was a traumatic loss and there's a lot of answers they don't have on why somebody this young got killed."

They must be really, really stupid because the answer they seek lies in the actions of the deceased - not this woman.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

^^^^^^^^

I wasn't sure how old the person resisting arrest was, but they make it sound like they were a two year old. In that case, I would agree. But I am sure it was someone in their teens or older. Didn't we learn in 'Nam that little kids can kill (knowingly and unknowing pawns)? That's what our Drill Instructors told us. Watch out and be prepared to shoot a child if they don't follow commands to stay away.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch