I was completely stunned when I walked into the Birdsboro borough hall around 3pm today to find a lone sheriff sitting at a table in-front of his equipment and nobody else in the room.

He asked for my paperwork, DL and the 20$ required by the state. I handed him a 20 and he told me to sit down infront of the camera.

After a few minutes of typing he took my photo, had me sign my name for the license and gave me back my DL.

Total elapsed time was less than 10 minutes.

So what you say? Thats the norm in berks right?

Well coming from Philly originally I was somewhat expecting it to be east...but damn not that easy.

The best part is I didnt have to goto Reading...just a short drive into Birdsboro.

I didnt have to take a day off to go down into the city since their gun-permit unit is only open from 8:30 to 1pm.

I didnt have to sit in a room with a dozen people waiting to be processed (sometimes you even had to stand).

I didnt have to get a passport photo.

I didnt have to pay with a money order.

I didnt need to be finger printed.

I didnt need to bring a copy of my discharge papers (DD-214)

I didnt need another proof of residency other than my DL.

I didnt even have to surrender my old permit....even though I asked if he wanted it.

I wont have to wait for a card to come in the mail so I can take another day off to go down and get the license.

The only thing that struck me as odd is that its being mailed to me...but I didnt see any equipment there for printing the licenses out...so thats no big deal. is that normal in Berks?

I just wanted to share my new and unexpected experience. People may laugh but ff you havent endured Phillys archaic system then you are lucky.