Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Travelling thru Illinois w/ guns

I need to drive to CO & will have guns with me. I will drive through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska & finally Colorado. I will have two rifles (R700 & AR15) and 1000 rounds of ammunition as well as a 9mm. The guns will be inside the truck (in proper cases and locked) and the ammunition will be in the bed of a truck in a locked Jobox. I can remove the bolts for both rifles & the put the pistol in the Jobox. That way, even if the rifles would be 'accessible' (even though the gun case they would be in would be locked), they would be 'inoperable'.

The truck will have DOT numbers on it so I will have to stop at all weigh stations.

Any issues in this - in particular, in going thru IL? I do not have a FOID card. I will not be stopping (not even for fuel - will fuel up just before entering). However, I may have to stop in a weigh station. BTW for me to drive around IL would add 300 miles to the trip.
    Last edited by MMH; April 16th, 2018 at 05:37 PM.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Travelling thru Illinois w/ guns

I go to Wyoming every year hunting and never had a problem. Mind my business and speed and driving habits.Since when does pickups have to stop at weight stations?

(Erie County)

What kind of truck?

Not all DOT numbered trucks have to stop at weigh stations, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Westmoreland County)

The truck is a F350 flatbed. I use my truck for my business (i.e. it is a 'commercial vehicle'). It also has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs., so I will have to stop at the weigh stations.

(Pike County)

Illinois, make sure your firearm is not on your person. Keep it in the glove box and carry long guns according to FOPA. Nebraska does not honor PA LTCF, again FOPA if you don’t have a FL, AZ, or UT. Illinois, Cook County has 15 round mag restrictions for AR’s, drive nice on 80. Colorado legally is 15 round also, use your own discretion. I travel 3-4 times a year to AZ.

(Jefferson County)

IL does in fact honor all other states's carry licenses INSIDE A VEHICLE. Handguns can be carried ON YOUR PERSON inside a vehicle. If you get out, the firearm must be left in the vehicle and the vehicle locked, or in a locked container.

Long guns must be unloaded(including magazines) and within a locked/latched/buckled/etc container. You should try to go the full length of FOPA requirements and have the locked/unloaded firearms in a trunk or furthest part of vehicle from occupants.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

IF ON YOUR PERSON, they will ask you to step out of the vehicle. Then they have you for being “outside the vehicle” even at there direction. It has been done to law abiding citizens. Put in glovebox, made the trip to many times. I carry all the way, except IL, then in console.
    Last edited by BF750; April 17th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BF750 View Post
    Illinois, make sure your firearm is not on your person. Keep it in the glove box and carry long guns according to FOPA. Nebraska does not honor PA LTCF, again FOPA if you don’t have a FL, AZ, or UT. Illinois, Cook County has 15 round mag restrictions for AR’s, drive nice on 80. Colorado legally is 15 round also, use your own discretion. I travel 3-4 times a year to AZ.
    I do have a FL CCW as well.
    So is it illegal to possess 20 or 30 round magazines in CO? I have a couple of 10 round AR mags bud generally shoot the 20 round ones.