Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Washington County)

Default Tales From the Work Bench

Vol. 1 From the Work Bench to the Shooter's Bench

This is my work bench. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Today, on the work bench, is a firearm that was my grandfather's, and was also the first actual firearm I ever fired, a Remington 580 chambered in 22 short, long, & long rifle, topped with a Foremost 4x15 scope.

My grandfather was quite mechanical, but never was fanatical about keeping his tools/firearms/etc. clean. When I acquired this rifle, it looked as if it had seen many years since its last cleaning. Given its condition, and my propensity for tearing shit apart, I decided to entirely disassemble it, and remove all rust and fouling.

Once everything was clean and back together, I had to take it to the range and get a nice zero dialed in. I settled on a 75 yard zero, aiming about 1" low at 50 yards. Using this zero with high velocity ammo, I should be just over an inch high at maximum, and down just about 3.5" at 100 yards.

Here are the results. I am attempting to hold over/under the appropriate amount, to bring point of aim to the bullseye. I overcompensated a bit on my 100 yard holdover.

This has been a first installment from the workbench, I may be doing other similar posts, showing disassembled firearms, provided there is interest. Criticism graciously accepted, especially about the quality or size of photos. I am posting from a mobile, so it is hard to know how the pictures come across.
    Last edited by marinville; April 15th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.