Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Ruger 10/22 Odd Sighting-in

So just recently build the wife a 10/22. Basics are Stock Ruger Receiver and Bolt, Kidd 18" Special Fluted Heavy Barrel Threaded, Archangel stock, and a Bushnell 3.5-10x36mm Rimfire scope. Took it over to the range yesterday to sight it in and managed to get it on paper and pretty dialed in at ~20yrds. Moved to 50yrds and was still on paper but about an inch high and 2.5-3 inches to the right. The inch high doesn't really bother me but something about the 2.5-3 inches to the right does. I almost feel as if the scope rail/rings are off or if when I installed the barrel I didn't get it just perfect. This being my first press fit(more or less) barreled build and not have seen this in any of my centerfire builds has me wondering. Any ideas?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Odd Sighting-in

“Pretty dialed in” at 20 yards means way off at 50. Measure in inches but translate it to MOA. You should have the same result at all distances.

(Tioga County)

I guess Im probably overthinking it but something keeps telling me to replace the Factory Ruger scope mount rail and the weaver brand rings I have. I mean hell I've spent this much whats another $100 at this point for some quality mounting

(Berks County)

How many kinds of ammo did you try? Might just be the ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jake1191 View Post
    I guess Im probably overthinking it but something keeps telling me to replace the Factory Ruger scope mount rail and the weaver brand rings I have. I mean hell I've spent this much whats another $100 at this point for some quality mounting
    Were you sighting in the rifle using rifle rests?
    When dialing in your sights you want the rifle to be as stationary as possible.
    Otherwise you don't know if it's you or the rifle.
    When she tells you it's not you it's me, it's usually you.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

You gotta get used to anything. Patience. It'll resolve.

(Centre County)

Is the scope rail on solidly? Are the rings securing the scope properly? If so, why change the mounts/rings? Go get a laser bore sighter and see what things look like at 50 yds. Set the crosshairs to the laser dot and then shoot some rounds to finish the zeroing process. If you can't zero the scope this way due to running out of adjustments, I'd check the barrel fit and the tightness of the barrel mounting block, the barrel may need to be removed and reinserted to make sure the barrel is not canted in any way and the mounting block screws are properly secured.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Tioga County)

Tried the usual bulk stuff that gets run through it. Winchester 555, Winchester M-22, and some Aguila Super Extra all with the same result.

I do all of my sighting in from a locked down rest so nothing can move.

As for the rail and rings the issue I ran into on initial install was the ring bases were too wide for the rail. A little sanding of the coating on the clamp side and they fit fine. Its been sighted in and left where it was and seems to shoot alright. As for the barrel I found a guy near where I work that's going to take a look at it. He did give me a whole spiel about using the mass produced factory rails so

(Montgomery County)

Tried the usual bulk stuff that gets run through it. Winchester 555, Winchester M-22, and some Aguila Super Extra all with the same result.

I do all of my sighting in from a locked down rest so nothing can move.

As for the rail and rings the issue I ran into on initial install was the ring bases were too wide for the rail. A little sanding of the coating on the clamp side and they fit fine. Its been sighted in and left where it was and seems to shoot alright. As for the barrel I found a guy near where I work that's going to take a look at it. He did give me a whole spiel about using the mass produced factory rails so
    Who installed the scope?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Centre County)

...He did give me a whole spiel about using the mass produced factory rails so
    Guess what??? ALL factory rails as well as ANY rails you buy anywhere are mass produced. Same goes for scope rings. Yes, you might find a person that makes individual rails and rings to custom fit for your gun but they would be expensive and most people who just shoot standard out of the box guns, whether or not the rebarrel them, buy "mass produced" rails, rings and such.

You did say you rebarreled the 10/22 and it was the first time you did this. When replacing the barrel on a 10/22, it should NOT be an extremely tight fit. It should be just tight enough that you have to slightly twist the barrel as you guide it into the receiver, nothing more. If it takes a lot of force, you need to remove the barrel and take some emery cloth and "shoeshine" polish the rear of the barrel (where it goes into the receiver) until it goes into the receiver snugly but not so tight that you have to use brute strength to force it in. If the fit is too tight and you force it in you could crack the receiver - remember it's steel going into aluminum.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast