Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New ar-15 barrel

I’m in the market for a new barrel for my ar-15. Currently I have a lightweight barrel, free floated handguard and a 1-4x vortex viper pst scope. I don’t shoot match ammo but my groups are definitely starting to open up a bit. I’ve owned my colt 6520 since 2007 and I’m not sure of the round count.

My question is should I go for the cheap bear creek barrel for $50 from primary arms and just consider the rifle a plinker up to 100 yards or save up for the ballistic advantage barrel that guarantees sub moa for about 3x the money? I did purchase a new upper which is a BCM scratch/demo.

Is there another barrel maker I should consider?

Are carbines with 16” barrel and 4x scope expected to shoot MOA at 100 to 200 yards from a rest?

Thanks!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New ar-15 barrel

Faxon gets good reviews.

I bought the 16" midlength pencil barrel for my wife's lightweight build. It's one of the best priced options for quality made, lightweight barrels.

Here's their "AR15 5.56/223" link.

Lots of vendors carry them and you can catch a sale to get them for less than the Faxon price.
    (I got a real good deal direct from Faxon pre-Christmas last year)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Ballistic advantage. Good and cheap. Each barrel comes with a sub-MOA guarantee and an M4 profile can be had for about $99.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

If you do not need a threaded muzzle BA has a sale on a couple barrels currently. They have a nice modern series pencil barrel too but it is more money.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inc...rn-barrel.html

http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inc...rn-barrel.html

(Westmoreland County)

+BA barrels...good quality, affordable prices....normally not hard to find and usually good sales available, but selection is pretty picked over last few weeks:

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.c...-price_c67.htm

https://www.armorally.com/product-tag/ba-barrels/

(Lackawanna County)

With the price of the ballistic advantage barrels there isn’t any reason to consider anything else. Submoa sub hundred bucks.

It takes a decent amount of rounds to burn out a 223/5.56 barrel...and you also mentioned that you don't use good ammo, so those plinking rounds aren't great for groups...you are probably at 2-4MOA on average.

That being said AR15 parts are plentiful, so if you want to replace the barrel, go for it.

I personally would never buy anything Faxon as the Faxon rep on ARF is a douche, and that alone would have me looking for other barrel vendors.

BCA offers some very inexpensive barrels, but if you manage to burn out an AR15 barrel, the ammo you spent will far exceed the cost of a replacement barrel, so pick whatever you want. Barrels are so cheap, I don't understand the "logic" of buying the cheapest barrel when the barrel life is well over 10,000 rounds.

I agree, barrel price is really insignificant vs the cost of ammo to burn out a barrel. Though with BA barrels you really are not sacrificing much accuracy for the cost. You can do better with a very high quality hand lapped air gauged barrel as far as accuracy goes but that is overkill for what a lot of ARs are used for.