Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Chiappa PAK-9 9mm pistol blog.

I have been looking to get into a 9mm PCC for sometime now and went through the long list of available options from AR9's to Rugers new PC9 offering and just about everything in between. I decided on a pistol configuration vs a rifle or SBR due to the fact I can add decent brace and carry it in my car under my LTCF as well as move it across state lines if need be without written permission from Uncle Sugar. As always money is a big deciding factor for me when it comes to extras and after pricing out the AR9 pistols in the configuration I wanted it was going to be more then I can afford right now so I took a step back from it all for a few weeks.

By chance I happened to come across a Youtube video of a 9MM AK pistol called the PAK-9 and it got my attention right away. It appears these were introduced by Chiappa at Shot Show 2016 as of of their new imports for the year. They finally released them at the tail end of 2016 in a very limited number which continued through 2017 in drips and drabs. After watching what few reviews there were on Youtube most of which were favorable towards the pistol showing it reliable I did a quick search and found that a few online dealers had these currently in stock listed from $400-$489.00. After much sleeping on it I decided to drop the hammer and grabbed one from Kentucky Gun Co for $406.00 shipped if paid by E-check or cash MO.

I received the pistol last Thursday and my 1st impression was being pleasantly surprised on how well built it is. These are made in Romania by Nova which is just another part of the Cugir factory using the same 1mm receiver as the Draco in 7.62x39. The rivets are even and set correctly in the receiver, the internal machine marks are on par with any other quality built AK, and everything is strait unlike many of the very early Romanian AK imports. Like many other 9mm PCC type firearms this is a direct blow back design with the bolt being attached to a large weight rather then a gas piston. There are a number of standard AK parts that are compatible with this like the trigger group, pistol grip, selector lever, and FSB. The hand guard and magazine well are a proprietary design made from polymer, the removable and interchangeable magazine well seats within the hand guard which is secured using the original AK magazine locking/release lever. The actual magazine release is a metal assembly and button on the left side of the polymer magazine well. The tightly fitted hinged receiver cover has a full length pic rail installed. There is also a short pic rail formed into the hand guard and then two more small sections of pic rail on the top front left and right side of the receiver. Upon 1st inspection once breaking it down I noticed that this pistol was very dry, almost no lube and no packing or shipping grease which I found odd for an AK import. The finish is your standard Romanian parkerized finish, it's even and there are no blemishes, thin uneven or rust spots showing showing through.

It comes with the following:
    . Cheap sling
    . useless undersized hand stop
    . Two (pinned to 10) 15 round aftermarket Beretta 92 mags.
    . Beretta 92 magazine well
    . Rear mounted sling swivel
    . Removable rear notched site

Specs:
    Overall Length: 14.25"
    Barrel Length: 6.3"
    Weight: Kind of Heavy

After checking for any barrel obstructions and without adding any lube I put 50 rounds through it on Sunday. 20 steel cased 115gr Brown Bear, 20 115gr Perfecta brass cased, and 10 rounds of 115gr Federal Aluminum cased. All fed, fired and ejected without issue.

While it was fun to shoot in it's current configuration as a strait up pistol it's pretty heavy and almost useless for anything other then a range blaster so the parts ordering started pretty quickly in order to make it useful for my intended purposes. There is currently a small aftermarket of quality parts being made for this pistol by a few different popular AK vendors and from what I read it's going to be growing soon.

I ordered a rear mounted back plate that replaces the rear swing swivel and will except a number of AR fixed or folding adapters. Of course an AK to AR folding adapter, magpul SL AK grip, their XTM hand stop kit and of course the right magazine well that excepts Glock magazines of which I am knee deep in. I also picked up an enhanced polish military and police AK selector lever however that is a very tight fit and way off on the finish so I will use that on one of my other rifles and modify the stock one myself to my liking. Right now I have a stock AR pistol tube as a place holder until I receive the new SBA3 4 position adjustable brace I pre-ordered last week. Hopefully I should have it within 10 days or so per OpticsPlanet.

Right now the only Con's for me are the 6.3" barrel as I would have liked an 8" or 8.5" and the fact that it's non threaded from the factory which puzzles the hell out of me as to why? The good thing is that the outer diameter of the muzzle is .539 inches, so it could be threaded to ½-28, to accept 9mm AR muzzle brakes. The weight once it's all completed maybe a con but I have to wait and see when the pistol in it's final configuration.

As I add the crap I want to this pistol and keep putting it through it's paces I plan to update the thread with round count as well as what does and does not work at least for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 11th, 2018 at 07:56 PM.

Default Re: Chiappa PAK-9 9mm pistol blog.

A few more with the Glock adapter in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

I’ve also been craving a Glock magazine PCC and I think I now want one of these since I also don’t have an AK at the moment.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    I’ve also been craving a Glock magazine PCC and I think I now want one of these since I also don’t have an AK at the moment.
    If your serious about getting one then check this out. KGC just listed this on Thursday when I picked mine up from the FFL.

It comes with the KAK pistol brace kit, a fixed AR adaptor, and the Glock mag well already installed.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View...Spring%20Fling

(Allegheny County)

I looked at the PAK - 9 long and hard a few months ago. I thought they were pretty cool. I decided to go the AR9 path instead since I have a AR pistol in 556 that I can just swap uppers on (and of course mag adapter).

I'm looking at this 9MM upper: http://karrisguns.com/kg-Venom-9mm-Pistol-upper.aspx
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

The weight of these is what makes me hesitate, but I do like the price and the ability to make it all foldy and shit is a plus on the "coolness" factor.

Sure is a lot less money than other options for shorty home defense guns in 9mm.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I looked at the PAK - 9 long and hard a few months ago. I thought they were pretty cool. I decided to go the AR9 path instead since I have a AR pistol in 556 that I can just swap uppers on (and of course mag adapter).

I'm looking at this 9MM upper: http://karrisguns.com/kg-Venom-9mm-Pistol-upper.aspx
    That’s where I’m at as well. I have a 10.5” AR pistol and primary arms now carries a mag adapter for glock mags but it does need a certain bolt which I haven’t looked into yet
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Northampton County)

They are heavy pistols , i have had two of these come in that my customers ordered. I have not yet fired one of these bad boys, but I can tell they are heavy. I have plenty of trigger time on AR 9mm Glock mags pistols and I like them I am currently finishing a Guntec 4 inch upper on a Matrix Arms Glock Mag lower , I have no idea what kind of a finish that am going to put on this one. Pics will be posted when it's done.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I ordered a rear mounted back plate that replaces the rear swing swivel and will except a number of AR fixed or folding adapters. Of course an AK to AR folding adapter, magpul SL AK grip, their XTM hand stop kit and of course the right magazine well that excepts Glock magazines of which I am knee deep in. I also picked up an enhanced polish military and police AK selector lever however that is a very tight fit and way off on the finish so I will use that on one of my other rifles and modify the stock one myself to my liking. Right now I have a stock AR pistol tube as a place holder until I receive the new SBA3 4 position adjustable brace I pre-ordered last week. Hopefully I should have it within 10 days or so per OpticsPlanet.

Right now the only Con's for me are the 6.3" barrel as I would have liked an 8" or 8.5" and the fact that it's non threaded from the factory which puzzles the hell out of me as to why? The good thing is that the outer diameter of the muzzle is .539 inches, so it could be threaded to ½-28, to accept 9mm AR muzzle brakes. The weight once it's all completed maybe a con but I have to wait and see when the pistol in it's final configuration.

As I add the crap I want to this pistol and keep putting it through it's paces I plan to update the thread with round count as well as what does and does not work at least for me.
    Which adapter is that from AKOU? I didn't see anything that looked like it on their site.

Over on the AKFiles forum someone mentioned that the barrel wasn't threaded because of import restrictions on pistols. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes sense.

This guy has a video on threading the PAK-9:

Last edited by Ronin; April 11th, 2018 at 03:53 PM.

The back plate I purchased from Tromix and the AR adapter is one of the ACE offerings from Carolina shooters supply. You can skip the back mounting plate from tromix or one of the other offered ones and can drill and tap the rear of the receiver and then mount the ACE that way. I have no issues doing it that way but since I am a bigger guy with a long arm span the extra length will help me out. I Purchased the Polish enhanced selector lever from AKOU.

Regarding the non threaded barrel I am unsure as to what is the reason why importing makes sense however Century imports the NAK-9 which is just a longer 10.5" barreled version of this that uses standard AK hand guards that comes with the barrel threaded. Is it a barrel length thing? Both are considered pistols so your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for the Vid I watched a few of his weeks back which helped me pull the trigger on this pistol. I have threaded standard AK barrels before so this shouldn't be an issue. If I were planning to use a suppressor then that is where it could cause trouble with the threads not being concentric due to being done by hand.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast