Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Self Defense Pistol Ammo Range Day

Went to the local range today to try out some new carry ammo for a few different pistols. Probably only spent an hour there, but had a good time.

Guns: Glock 30 (45acp), Glock 26 (9mm), Smith and Wesson model 66-8 (.357 mag)

Ammo: Remington Golden Saber 45acp 185 gr +p, Federal 9mm 124gr HST +p, Barnes .357 magnum 125gr HP TAC-XPD.

All shooting was from 10 yards. Fired 129 rounds total. (Doesnt sound like much but this stuff isnt cheap to test.)

The left hand targets were old ammo I was using to compare group size and recoil characteristics vs the new carry ammo. For the 45 it was just some Fed 230 gr fmj, for the 9mm it was my old carry ammo, 124gr +p Gold Dots. For the .357 it was a cylinder of Rem 38sp +p and a cylinder of Fed 158gr JSP.

The middle and right hand targets are the new ammo, with the right hand targets being rapid fire (to test function and maybe get an idea of group size under duress.)

I left feeling good and relatively satisfied. My shooting can always improve, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end either. My hands were also a bit cold and I was rushed shooting the 66, when someone pulled up to the range. (I could think of some more excuses if I try hard enough.) I was especially happy with the 45 golden sabers. I was also glad that the Barnes XPD was not unmanagable or punishing. It was very similar to shooting the 158gr JSPs. I had expected it to be worse. Another takeaway was that the HST empties were consistently coming back at my forehead, and I've never had that happen before with that 26, through quite a few rounds. I'm not sure what that was about. Anyway, it was fun.

Default Re: Self Defense Pistol Ammo Range Day

Looks like a fun range day.

Low capacity revolver loses.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot