Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile SQUIRRELS IN ABUNDANCE ?

Up in our area no less than 18 little critters counted on property this morning.I think it was a good year for making baby squirrels ! Now all over the neighborhood dozens of the critters but not one groundhog yet !

(Berks County)

Default Re: SQUIRRELS IN ABUNDANCE ?

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Up in our area no less than 18 little critters counted on property this morning.I think it was a good year for making baby squirrels ! Now all over the neighborhood dozens of the critters but not one groundhog yet !
    Squirrels are out year 'round, groundhogs like warmer weather and growing grass.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Squirrels always out around here at home. There was a black squirrel in the neighborhood last fall. Ground hog was out in the backyard yesterday.

I usually go out hunting for squirrels, didn't go specifically for them this year. Last time deer hunting I put a shot shell in and was looking on the walk out. Had seen them earlier in the day, but not on the walk out.

(Berks County)

Are they those turbo squirrels?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Montgomery County)

Lots of squirrels out.
    It makes walking my dog all the more challenging as she wants to catch every one of them.

(Lackawanna County)

I used to have lots of squirrels (and rabbits) around my property. That ended about 5 or so years ago when a nesting pair of Red-Tailed Hawks took up residence across the street from my house. Ever since...very few squirrels, and rabbits are a real rarity.

I also have the occasional Bald Eagle fly through my yard.

Living along the head waters of the Lehigh River, I also have ducks, geese, and Heron.

Lots of Cardinals, Blue Jays, and other birds...song birds galore, wood peckers, and starlings, crows, etc.

Being that my property has a few crab apple trees, I have no shortage of deer around.

Every once in awhile i have a bear pass through.

I also have a ground hog that lives under the old shed at the back of my property...pretty fat from the apples the deer don't get.

While I have never seen them on my property, I have also heard the yipping at night of nearby coyotes.

So, abundant wild life...yes. Squirrels...no.

Oh yeah, I also have moles...they're the only wildlife I kill on my property when given the chance. Even the groundhog doesn't bother me, but the moles with their catcher mitt hands and never ending tunneling in my yard...they just need to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I used to have lots of squirrels (and rabbits) around my property. That ended about 5 or so years ago when a nesting pair of Red-Tailed Hawks took up residence across the street from my house. Ever since...very few squirrels, and rabbits are a real rarity.

I also have the occasional Bald Eagle fly through my yard.

Living along the head waters of the Lehigh River, I also have ducks, geese, and Heron.

Lots of Cardinals, Blue Jays, and other birds...song birds galore, wood peckers, and starlings, crows, etc.

Being that my property has a few crab apple trees, I have no shortage of deer around.

Every once in awhile i have a bear pass through.

I also have a ground hog that lives under the old shed at the back of my property...pretty fat from the apples the deer don't get.

While I have never seen them on my property, I have also heard the yipping at night of nearby coyotes.

So, abundant wild life...yes. Squirrels...no.

Oh yeah, I also have moles...they're the only wildlife I kill on my property when given the chance. Even the groundhog doesn't bother me, but the moles with their catcher mitt hands and never ending tunneling in my yard...they just need to die!!
    Similar situation to you. Used to have a ton of squirrels but some hawks took up residence and now there are fewer around. This year though I have seen a few more squirrels so maybe the hawks will show up again. Them frickin moles though are the worst. Walking around the outskirts of my yard is crazy because it feels all spongy.

I also have a few moles ! on my back !

(Bucks County)

We have a black squirrel nearby. Neighbor thinks it is a Canadian squirrel. Tried to tell him it's just a variation of a grey.

We don't mind squirrels at all. Enjoy them, actually. But years ago we came back from vacation and one had chewed thru the wooden pedestrian door of the garage and chewed into the stored bird seed. Repaired the damage and soon it was chewed again. Not knowing which of seven squirrels had done it, I killed 'em all. No more problems. Subsequent horde generally well-behaved.

One year I trapped 35 and transported them to opposite side of water. Later learned a neighbor across and up from us had also trapped 35. He dropped them about two miles away, no water in between. I think his were returning.
    Last edited by Bang; April 8th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

1960s i went to the EXPO Fair in Montreal,that was the first I had seen of black squirrels,always thought they came from Canada also until I had seen a few out on Long Island !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast