Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Rockwell Tactical and Mill Creek Sportsmen's Association

Good evening All. Going for Pistol 103 training with Rockwell tactical next week at Mill Creek Sportsmen's range. My first time at that range and training with Rockwell. Those of you who are familiar with either or both of them could you give me some pointers on what the range is all about during this time of year, (covered not covered windy muddy, how far the parking from the firing line etc.) and also how Rockwell likes to run things so I can get my gear straight. I.e. how many rounds in a mag, should I opt for heavy duty LBE belt or regular EDC will do the trick how many mags you go thru before you get a chance to reload them without missing anything , average distance to targets during class, chamber flags or not, that sort of information.

Really appreciate your help .

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rockwell Tactical and Mill Creek Sportsmen's Association

Hopefully I'm not too late...
    I took their 101 class which is just the first day of their 103 class I believe. I can only speak to that day and can't tell you anything about the second day as I didn't take it.
    Anyway the class was great over all. Gary was great I really enjoyed him and I thought he was a great instructor. The other instructor I was indifferent too. I think he did a suitable job and met the minimum requirements but did not exceed them.
    Mill Creek is weird. You drive into a residential neighborhood almost, take a turn, are in people's backyards, and then bam! you are at the range. There was ample shade but it was summer when I took the class. They also have an indoor range so you might end up inside (my class did). They have a nice kitchen area with a fridge for your lunch and drinks plus a bathroom. Parking is very close to the firing line and clubhouse.

Just come with all your mags at capacity that way you will be ready to rock and roll right away. You should wear whatever you normally wear. If you are a cop wear your duty gear, if you are comp shooter who doesn't conceal carry wear your comp gear, if you conceal carry wear your conceal carry gear. Don't over complicate it especially for an entry level class. You probably won't even need it honestly. You could buy the pistol that morning and show up to class with no other gear and get through it (though I wouldn't recommend that).
    The instructor will likely pause class so everyone can reload magazines but I would bring ever magazine you have. That way while others are reloading mags you are asking questions or chatting with the instructor or writing down notes etc. Plus the interaction with the instructor and other students is like half the fun and its hard to do that when you are constantly reloading magazines.
    Distance to targets is generally going to be close (3 yards maybe 5) but there will be components of the class shooting at longer distances.
    No chamber flags were needed that I can recall.
    If this is your first training class don't sweat it. Everyone there is in the same spot you are so make some friends, help each other out with gear and ammo if needed, focus on the instructors and not the other students. How they shoot has nothing to do with you. you are there to learn from the instructors, you aren't paying them to teach them how you shoot, you are paying them so they can help you in your journey.

Thanks a lot Legion. It helps a lot. I'm heading out there this Thursday. It's not my first class, but I found out from all my other classes that different instructors have different quirks in how they run a course, and all of them put carbon copy of gear requirements to bring to class on their web page. So sometimes you end up light on gear with listed bare bones kit and end up suffering thru annoyance. So it always helps to get alumni input before heading out to a new school.

(Chester County)

Awesome I'm sure you will have no problems!
    I think the only thing I forgot was my notebook which was annoying but I always forget that thing.
    Let me know how you like the class and what the 2nd day is like.

Legion. Just came back from 103 class with Rockwell. Second day was a continuation of the first day a bit faster a bit more mixing things up that was going on. More target recognition drills, more half half drills, failure to stop, stoppage reduction buddy drills, multiple target stands engagements with targets more spread out to accommodate for greater rotational movement. Just as full disclosure this is not my first class I've been shooting for years taken ton of classes including John Farnam, LAV etc. etc. Overall great impressions with Rockwell. Garry and Kirk were teaching the class, knew what they were doing, kept things fun and non intimidating for newer students taught the higher speed students some new tricks well worth the trip and the money spent. Rockwell is a bit different from other schools I attended in respect that when they say foundational course they mean foundational course. Meaning guns went off the line unloaded, range was static in terms of moving around, and the primary focus throughout was drilling in foundations of marksmanship. By no means a criticism since I left with more skill than I came in with, but it was a change of pace, for me it was a welcome one. I was geared up for blood sweat and tears and ended up with nice organized hold my hand instruction. Student body was about 2/3 higher speed shooters, you could tell by gear accuracy speed etc. Newbies caught up pretty nicely by day two. My round count for two days was about 1200. They kept calling out targets guys in my relay kept shooting I kept reloading. . Lots of mags can fit into tru-spec pants pockets . Definitely will be coming back for their future classes.

(Chester County)

hhhm I thought I replied to this but I guess I forgot.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it an thanks for getting back to me. Its good to see another person dedicated to training in the area. If you are in Philly look up Armed Dynamics if you have not already heard of him. He has not done group classes in a while but his one on one instruction is excellent and since it is personal he can address your individual issues/concerns/etc. Plus its always nice to have someone local!