Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Updated Does anyone know of a good source to have a stainless revolver polished out?

I picked up a stainless Smith 686 that has slight finish issues. My guess is it was once poorly polished with the wrong sand paper or steel wool. The scratches are swirled. Does anyone know or have experience with a place where I can have this professionally taken care of? Local would be great but I’m willing to ship it. Thank you, Brian

Last edited by bripro; April 22nd, 2018 at 03:34 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source to have a stainless revolver polished out?

Sorry to see the butcher job some wanna be gunsmith did to the 686 ! While I no longer have my 686 or dick special the 686 was polished profesionally by Bensons Gun Shop in Medford N Y, it was done to a mirror finish and beautiful.I bequeath it to my sons ! The Dick Special was my backup ONJ and kept it on retiring that too was a blued model that this store had connections with and sent it out to be hard chromed,both beautiful pieces and now some good news they are still in business and hoprfully still have connections to this fine work.Phone number escapes me right now.those scratches are pretty dam deep sorry to say but investigate firther with this info ! MDT

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source to have a stainless revolver polished out?

Superior Gunsmithing in Robesonia does great revolver polishing 610-693-6004 .10683606_801393459921280_6797793726027387205_o.jpg

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, I will look into both places. I can’t actually feel the scratches with my finger but I guess for polishing stand. they are indeed deep. I’m willing to spend some money to get it repaired since it’s current condition allowed me to buy it for 300 otd. I’ll probably have someone look inside of it too and knows what they’re talking about, it feels good but I’m guessing the previous owner was in there too.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

I'm sure these folks in Leesport can take care of you:

https://polishthis.com/

(Lancaster County)

I couldn’t resist the urge to try to do it myself. After talking to the guys at the above listed polishthis company it was pretty clear that it’s really hard to irreparably damage the finish. With that in mind I set out to give it a whirl. I know it’s not a professional job but it’s much better than before. That much so that I might be sending a different gun in for finishing work.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I couldn’t resist the urge to try to do it myself. After talking to the guys at the above listed polishthis company it was pretty clear that it’s really hard to irreparably damage the finish. With that in mind I set out to give it a whirl. I know it’s not a professional job but it’s much better than before. That much so that I might be sending a different gun in for finishing work.

Nice!!!
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

Looks much better! Reminds me of the ultra polished Colts that I have seen.-
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Very nice job! I would say you could sell that PDQ now. That shines like my 70's Colt Detective special.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you.

The guys who specialize in firearms wanted three hundred dollars to polish it out. The guy who specialized in engines parts wanted 125 +/-. It’s a 66-3 so not terribly uncommon plus I got it for a good price. I figured I’d watch some YouTube videos buy what I need to buy and give it a try. The only thing I needed that I already had on hand was the Mother’s Mag Well polish and a Dremmel (which I didn’t use). So, for the price of a 44 dollar bench grinder, 19 dollar polishing kit for said bench grinder and ten dollars in assorted automotive sand paper I achieved results I can live with and added a few tools to the basement workshop.

If anyone is thinking about doing anything similar the one piece of advice I heard over and over in my research is to keep the parts moving when on the wheel.

I have no doubt that the pros can achieve a much more finished look but for now at least I’m satisfied. The thought of spending 300 dollars to get a finish I don’t want to touch is a little odd anyway. I have a 629 that I may do something with down the line. I’ll see how tired I get of wiping fingerprints off this one first for a while though.

Last edited by bripro; April 22nd, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast