Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Large pistol primers and more

I've been reloading .45 ACP since the early 1970s the bulk of it was lead semi-wadcutter for Bullseye competition. No matter the brand I bought they were always 0.452". Since was on an Army Reserve pistol team they supplied me with "Hardball" all standard GI stuff (brown box) and some GI National Match stuff. The NM cases I saved and used for my own reloads until the they cracked, by the time I got rid of them you could no longer read the headstamp. The few times I did use jacketed bullets they were 0.451". All my reloading has been done using standard RCBS (until 1990) then Dillon dies and always with a taper crimp.

With the Revolver I use special sized coated 200 gr. RN from Steel Valley or cast lead from Penn both sized 0.454". I've never noticed a problem with lead splattering from my revolver's gap. BUT many years ago it had the forcing cone cut to an 11 degree bevel. I don't do anything special except put a little bit more bell in the case.
    Last edited by Brick; May 2nd, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

More research to be done....
    Last edited by Bang; May 1st, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

(Elk County)

I load large and small primers both work fine...unless you mix up your brass. Use CCI because they are readily available. I was ordering bullets from Everglades in Florida (230 gr FMJ). Mic'ed them and they are right on. I just received my order from Extreme and they look great. Mic'ed a sample and they are right on. They are plated so they should be softer than the Everglades. I buy primers and powder locally to avoid the hazmat fees. Powder I use Titegroup but that is hard to find at times. Also used 700X and going to run some off using WST soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12