Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Did you know that you cant mail long guns person to person?????

Or at least if you do, wrap it at home and then bring it in, but don't tell anyone what it is

Thats the info I got from my local USPS. I went in to ask about shipping a long gun to a fellow member on the board, I wanted be sure that it did not require anything special beyond the box, postage and some bubble wrap. I asked and the man behind the counter just shakes his head and tells me " You can't, you need an FFL or a dealer to do that" I tried to tell him that he was incorrect, and he said I'm gonna have to look in the "Big Book" and try to find out. When he could not find the "Big Book" he tells me to just bring it in alraeady wrapped and labled. And when someone asks you if you have anything to claim or if its breakable, just say no.

I left feeling rather dejected and unsure if I was in the right. So am I? Can you leaglly ship a shotgun to another person w/o going thru an FFL? I thought so, but I wanna make sure.

Dave
    3%

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Did you know that you cant mail long guns person to person?????

My understanding is that a non-FFL can never send any type of firearm via USPS.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

In a nutshell.

For intra-state sales and shipments you do NOT need to ship to an FFL for long guns.

However, you MUST notify the shipper of the contents (fed law) so the counter-man was incorrect in his advice.

You MUST ship to an FFL for inter-state sales.

And I'm too damn lazy to post the cites tonight

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    My understanding is that a non-FFL can never send any type of firearm via USPS.
    long guns OK.

Handguns can not be sent USPS unless both parties are FFL

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

long guns may be shipped by a non ffl by postal service. my local clerk even made me a zerox of the page in the regs. i always ship from there so it's not a problem for me. if you want to ship out of state you need to ship TO an ffl, but not be one.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    long guns OK.

Handguns can not be sent USPS unless both parties are FFL
    Thanks for the correction.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

All you have to do is send it UPS, big brown, with adult signature required. that is how I have shipped firearms back and forth to the manufacturer for service. no problems, no questions asked.
    WhiteFeather: building a mall with a parking lot kills everything better than hunting ever does

Quote Originally Posted by cLion View Post
    All you have to do is send it UPS, big brown, with adult signature required. that is how I have shipped firearms back and forth to the manufacturer for service. no problems, no questions asked.
    Technically, you have to ship it overnight and can only ship it if you go to one of their customer centers (not Staples, drop box, UPS Store, driver pickup, etc). This is expensive and a big PITA.

I had to drive all the way from Norristown to Horsham today just to ship a case of ammo since it could NOT be dropped off or picked up any other way.

USPS priority mail is WAY cheaper and easier if it is an option (ie, long guns or if you have an FFL).

(York County)

So I'm okay then? I thought so. I just hate feeling like I'm not on the right side of the law.

Dave
    3%

This might help; from the USPS site. Mailability of firearms.

The following conditions apply:

1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    2. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    3. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    4. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

1. Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

2. Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

3. Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

4. Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

5. Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.

6. Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.

7. Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.

8. Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508

PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.
    432.3 Packaging and Marking

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast