Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    PSSTT, Hey Airborne, all of 20 minutes at the Sherrif's office, not sure on that county but some let you walk out the door with your new ones, some make you wait. Make sure you bring a copy of your orders showing PA as your new "Home". In the mean time, plenty of ranges all around, public and private, enjoy turning money into noise.
    Haha, thank you. I'll be sure to look up some of that information as I get closer to the move. I look forward to shooting wherever I am allowed. Hopefully I can meet a couple of you guys on here.
    Instagram: @theaverageshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Welcome to the board and PA! As a former Western NY Resident I can tell you while yes the laws are restrictive in NY, realize that anywhere north of Poughkeepsie are generally a-ok people of a similar mindset to us all here. It's the NYC liberal and Albany liberals that sink NY.
    Yeah, I was from Cooperstown/Schenevus/Oneonta, so I definitely know the people are cool in "uptstate NY" but unfortunately, most of the laws are built by the NYC people...

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Welcome to the forum. As stated we have some pretty nice laws, some could be better, most all are confusing and case law rulings don't help matters as some judges like to redefine the English language. But you'll find those threads, too.

My daughter currently teaches in N.C. and it is her first job out of school. I am going to visit as I am now disabled. I wanted to know a little about N.C. laws as I will be going down soon. (I am an Army vet and was wondering if the SF Museum was worth a visit to Ft. Bragg?)

PA: Open carry is not illegal per se but limits where you can go via vehicle unless you have a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF).
    NC: Seems similar, is it ok to OC or print?

PA: Not legally required to inform an officer you are carrying.
    NC: ??

PA: You can carry where alcohol is served. No law against drinking either but if something happens...

PA: A sign against carrying firearms could get you trespassed. But in practice, you are usually asked to leave a location if discovered.

Are there any weird things I should know about NC laws?

In PA, you need a LTCF to carry open or concealed in a City of the First Class (Pop. over 1 million). There is only one city that qualifies now: Philadelphia.
    Also, during declared States of Emergency by a governor, you need a LTCF to carry off of your property for handguns or long guns unless you are actively defending yourself. PA tends to over declare Emergencies to ensure Federal funds are immediately available etc.
    PA has state preemption laws to make gun laws consistent throughout the state (exception for Philadelphia).

I leave in a week for an area just outside of Raleigh (North and a degree or two west).

Overall, I think you will really like PA.
    1) First off, thanks for your service! The army museum is actually pretty awesome. I've gone in there about 20 times. They have a cool simulator you can get on in there as well. It's not rigorous, it's actually pretty awesome. I went in there to check out some of the history, but also some of the guns that I wanted to do a mock up of, such as the Blackhawk down weaponry and such like SFC Shughart's M14 and stuff.

2) Open carry applies to just about all of the state of NC. Some places impose restrictions on it such as Chapel Hill and stuff. Open carry just means that you must have at least three visible sides of the handgun at all times. You can carry openly in vehicles, or on foot. You don't have to have a permit for it either. In a vehicle, you can also have a loaded long gun, etc. In NC, those laws are a little more lenient. If a sign on a door is posted that you cannot have firearms, it mainly applies to OPEN CARRY unless it specifically states, NO CONCEALED WEAPONS. If you'd like, I have a slideshow that I created for the classes I teach that really break all of this down in to layman's terms.

3) In NC, it is law that if you are to engage in a full fledged conversation with any law enforcement officer or get pulled over for anything that you must inform them that you are a concealed carry permittee. You also should let them know whether or not you are armed and if so, where the gun is located. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISPLAY. If you get pulled over and they ask for your ID/License and you are armed ask the officer how to proceed. Do not reach for anything. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and have them instruct you.

4) You can drink, but ONLY when OPEN CARRYING, but not to the point of being deemed intoxicated by any member of the public. If you are concealing a handgun, simply unstuck the shirt and sip a beer. You cannot have any amount of alcohol in your system if you are concealing. But yes, you can go to an establishment that serves and allows consumption of alcohol on the premises.

5) Going back to the signs, yes, if it is posted you cannot go in. The owner or person in charge has the right to ask you to leave. Signs must be conspicuously posted at EVERY entrance though. So if you're going into a mall, pick the door that doesn't have a sign. In the Fayetteville mall, Macy's didn't have a sign so I'd go through that door and that was legal. Only thing is, you'd want to be concealed carrying for that to apply. By definition in NC, to conceal means that it is not visible by any member of the public that you are carrying. So, if your pistol creates a print, they have to consider that you are open carrying at that point.

I am not aware of any "weird" laws. But for self defense, we are a castle doctrine state now, and there's no duty to retreat. Cool thing is, they extended that freedom to any place you reside in, even if it is temporary such as a hotel. It also applies to in your vehicle. Just remember though, if someone breaks into your place, and is simply stealing your TV, you can't shoot to protect property; just life. The guy that wrote the concealed carry book for the Department of Justice Academy (who certified me) says there's nothing stating that you can't beat the crap out of the intruder, drag their ass to you mailbox, and call the police to ship your package. Haha. NC is very gun friendly, so being near Raleigh, I don't foresee you having any issues. I go up there frequently.

If you want my powerpoint, I can send it once you give me an email. I can send it as a powerpoint or even a PDF so you can see the breakdown of the 8hr class (never takes that long) that is mandated by NC for you to conceal carry. I give my students the class and then the powerpoint for future reference.

(Monroe County)

I'm up by were your going. Sadly your heading to the "blue" part of Monroe county, the rest is solidly red were I'm at.
    I retired up here after 20 in the Navy. Love it. Got involved in scouts and now I have my NRA inst in pistol/rifle/shotgun/CRSO and run events and ranges at 2 local camps.
    Finally after years of people asking why I wasn't I got my FFL.

As for ranges, the Game commission has sort of free ranges, you need a hunting lic or a range pass. BUT it's a free for all. Use at your own risk.
    Sunset Hill will be near you but it's a tourist range for people north and east of here.
    There's some rod and gun clubs that are ok -if you can get in. Get to know this forum, lost of good shoots are posted. I used to drive up from VA to go to them.

PM me when you PCS up here, stop by one weekend for a whiskey and cigar.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; April 2nd, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I'm up by were your going. Sadly your heading to the "blue" part of Monroe county, the rest is solidly red were I'm at.
    I retired up here after 20 in the Navy. Love it. Got involved in scouts and now I have my NRA inst in pistol/rifle/shotgun/CRSO and run events and ranges at 2 local camps.
    Finally after years of people asking why I wasn't I got my FFL.

As for ranges, the Game commission has sort of free ranges, you need a hunting lic or a range pass. BUT it's a free for all. Use at your own risk.
    Sunset Hill will be near you but it's a tourist range for people north and east of here.
    There's some rod and gun clubs that are ok -if you can get in. Get to know this forum, lost of good shoots are posted. I used to drive up from VA to go to them.

PM me when you PCS up here, stop by one weekend for a whiskey and cigar.
    Thanks for your service! How's the instructor business? I'm only an instructor for Basic Pistol, but I am thinking I'm going to let my qualifications go. Simply because I only needed them in order to teach Concealed Carry in NC. No one down there ever contacted me to get a Basic Pistol course done now that they have the new way of teaching it on the computer for the first phase. I'd love to see some of the ranges. I just want the freedom to pull up, pull out what I want to shoot, set up my targets, and have a hassle free day. I'll pay yearly dues, that's what I do now, but I love that in NC, I have the code to the gate and can come and go as I please so long as I am not shooting during hours of darkness.

I'll definitely get in contact with you sometime after I get up there to see where the good and bad parts are if you don't mind. Sadly, I have never had any form of alcohol and have not smoked anything, haha. (Blame my "father" for all of that) I'll take a coke though! Haha.

Default Hello Everyone!

Well, it's official. I was officially diverted from NY to PA. So.... Now it's just a matter of that paperwork getting approved that allows me to report on October 28th instead of May 28th.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAverageShooter View Post
    Well, it's official. I was officially diverted from NY to PA. So.... Now it's just a matter of that paperwork getting approved that allows me to report on October 28th instead of May 28th.
    You will think you are in Jersey or NY when you get to Stroudsburg. Stay away from A Pocono Country Place.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    You will think you are in Jersey or NY when you get to Stroudsburg. Stay away from A Pocono Country Place.
    At least drive by fast with the windows up...
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Lehigh County)

Your Welcome

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678