Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone!,

I'm new to the forum as of right now. I just figured I'd reach out and see how everyone's doing. Although, I am not a Pennsylvania resident quite yet, I thought I should create an account on here because soon, I will be. Not entirely by choice, but it somewhat was.

So, the reason I am coming to Pennsylvania... I am currently in the active duty component of the United States Army. I am currently in the Army Recruiter Course here in Fort Knox and I'm due to graduate soon. I was on orders (might still be, since they are still doing the paperwork) to the communist neighbor of yours; New York. Originally, I am from New York. By from, I mean, it was the last state I was temporarily living in (total of five awful years) before I joined the Army back in 2006. So I think that may be why I got put on orders to New York. Needless to say, I know that by going to New York, I would be forced to somehow dispose of all of my guns and NFA items (which I refuse to do). Long story short, due to family problems in New York and other issues, I was asked if I would go to Pennsylvania instead of Buffalo/Niagara Falls, New York. So, immediately, I said, "yes!" Mainly because I knew Pennsylvania and most states south of it are way more "gun friendly" than New York.

I have been living my last 12 years or so in North Carolina, assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. With that being said, all I really know is the Airborne lifestyle down at Fort Bragg. Coming to Pennsylvania will be something new for me since not only it will be the first time I have been sent anywhere in my career, but it will also be as a Army Recruiter. Not sure if I should be looking forward to this assignment or not, but I am hoping for the best. While I was living in New York, I always loved the scenery, the fall season, etc. I just hated their gun laws and the snow. But, I guess I'll take the snow in Pennsylvania over being stationed up in New York.
    Well, enough about the Army and all of that, I'm here to see how everyone is and get some information about Pennsylvania!

So, some questions I have for you living in Pennsylvania... Any of you from the Stroudsburg area? That's where I am being told that I will be going. If so, are there any decent outdoor ranges that have yearly memberships and 24/7 access? Any areas to avoid around there? Any decent housing areas? I have no idea how much rent and such is around there, nor do I know what to expect from utilities since it's generally pretty cheap in North Carolina.

Some of my basic "qualifications" and background in the gun world for those just wanting to know:
    -I've been in the Army since 2006, so I've been at least familiar with the M16 and M4 platforms throughout that time.
    -I started shooting recreationally around 2009-2010.
    -I starting conceal carrying around 2010.
    -I am a Conceal Carry Handgun instructor in North Carolina, and have been since about 2015.
    -I am a certified National Rifle Association Basic Pistol instructor, and have been since about 2015.
    -I am a National Rifle Association Member and Recruiter.
    -On Instagram, I have a firearms only type account: @theaverageshooter

14344073_10153766754105812_1054711466011783960_n.jpg27657308_10155187053970812_1406822978380135265_n.jpg19397131_10154559454130812_3352994867382327840_n.jpg
    Last edited by TheAverageShooter; April 1st, 2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added video for emptymag!

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

Welcome! Sounds like a good addition to PA!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Above average for sure.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Above average for sure.
    Haha, thanks! The name was created to reflect the Youtube channel my friends and I were in the process of creating that was geared to "the average joe". But, we all know how YouTube is with the gun world as of late...

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to PA and to PAFOA.
    There are some guys here from the Stroudsburg area, so hopefully they will chime in with some information for you.
    If not, then post another thread asking for Stroudsburg information in the thread title and people should see it and connect with you.
    Whatever you do, please never take a gun into New Jersey or New York without first reading up on the gun laws.
    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Welcome to PA and to PAFOA.
    There are some guys here from the Stroudsburg area, so hopefully they will chime in with some information for you.
    If not, then post another thread asking for Stroudsburg information in the thread title and people should see it and connect with you.
    Whatever you do, please never take a gun into New Jersey or New York without first reading up on the gun laws.
    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    I may just have to do that if I don't hear from anyone in that area. As for NJ and NY.... Yeah, I don't have any plans on going to either of those places. I think PA is about as far north as I will ever voluntarily want to go. I usually don't travel without first checking the laws, which is why I was so quick to say YES to PA when asked. Haha.
    Instagram: @theaverageshooter

(Wayne County)

Welcome to the club and hopefully Pa.
    Last edited by Qtrborecrazy; April 1st, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Welcome. Pa. Is also an open carry state. But get your LTCF.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

What Justin said

Welcome to PA !
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast