Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Let's Talk About SBR's

I have a friend who is looking at buying a pistol and converting it to an SBR. I'm thinking that a Form 1 must be filed and approved before adding the stock to it. After that I believe that the SBR would need to be stamped or etched somehow relating the conversion to anyone who has it in their hands. Would there be any reason that the Form 1 could be/would be denied and how much time is allowed to get the rifle marked? Once that is done is it then a violation to remove the stock and once again have a pistol or can it be designated for both? Is it illegal to own both the pistol and the stock before acquiring the Form 1 approval? Am I right or wrong on my current beliefs? And any other input would be great.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Default Re: Let's Talk About SBR's

(Centre County)

The Form 1 must be approved before you can mount the stock to the pistol. The "firearm" portion of the SBR will need to have the name, city and state of the SBR builder engraved to the BATFE specifications. Some may say that it is illegal to own the stock and the pistol at the same time (citing "constructive intent") but I haven't heard of anyone ever being arrested/convicted of this. I am going to a meeting with the ATF and PSP in mid May and I will make myself a note to ask this question to see if I can get a firm answer. Unless the person filling out the Form 1 is a prohibited person, I don't think they will be denied approval. It will take some time though, but with the NFA Branch it could be weeks or months, you just never know. The "firearm" portion of the pistol can be marked any time you want, before the Form 1 is approved or after approval but before the SBR is assembled. 5/5/18 I removed my last sentence about converting from SBR to rifle because it was incorrect and I didn't want to give bad info. See my post below.

I am sure that there will be others that will chime in with more info to help clarify.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; May 5th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I would recommend you engrave the lower before submitting your paperwork to the ATF. My reasoning is that if a mistake is made or there is damage to the lower, you will be able to buy another lower and have everything done. Once you know that your engraved lower is okay, then do the paperwork.

I have known a few folks who didn't engrave until after they got the stamp and there was a mistake on the engraving. Remember that serial number is tied to your engraved name, city and state. As with the serial number, the engraving must match the paperwork exactly.

(Berks County)

Thank yinz for the info. So it sounds like the approval is pretty much expected then.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    I would recommend you engrave the lower before submitting your paperwork to the ATF. My reasoning is that if a mistake is made or there is damage to the lower, you will be able to buy another lower and have everything done. Once you know that your engraved lower is okay, then do the paperwork.

I have known a few folks who didn't engrave until after they got the stamp and there was a mistake on the engraving. Remember that serial number is tied to your engraved name, city and state. As with the serial number, the engraving must match the paperwork exactly.
    If you engrave before approval, then what will you do when ATF tells you that you can't abbreviate the city name or that you have to spell out your first name, or whatever?

It's easier to engrave a receiver than it is to get everything right on federal paperwork.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Centre County)

I got clarification from the NFA Branch yesterday about making a pistol into an SBR - Yes, it can be done using a Form 1 but as soon as you make the pistol into an SBR it becomes forever a "rifle" and as such cannot be made back into a pistol without doing another Form 1.

An AR rifle (Title I rifle) made into an SBR (now a Title II rifle) can be converted back to a standard Title I rifle by replacing the upper with a 16" barrel and can be converted back to the Title II SBR later if the person wants (as long as the builder did not notify the NFA Branch to remove the Title II rifle from the registry and still has the approved Form 1). Basically it's a rifle being converted to a rifle, just under different regulations.

Even a Title I AR lower receiver made into a pistol, then made into a Title II rifle (SBR) becomes a rifle forever as soon as it is built and you cannot convert it back to a Title I pistol without a Form 1.

Confusing isn't it?

(Erie County)

Using an AR15 lower, the lower should be tested in rifle configuration with the FCG used in application, before the process begins to the NFA stage.

It would suck to find out the lower being slightly out of spec.

Another thing;

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download

Has anyone thought of engraving the barrel with the maker's specs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Another thing;
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download

Has anyone thought of engraving the barrel with the maker's specs?
    If the barrel were not easy to replace, like a standard rifle barrel that is threaded into and basically becomes part of the receiver (the "firearm"), it could be done and meet the regs. If the barrel can be easily replaced, like an AR barrel, where the barrel/receiver are not basically one unit, then the ATF wouldn't allow it as the barrel isn't considered the "firearm"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If the barrel were not easy to replace, like a standard rifle barrel that is threaded into and basically becomes part of the receiver (the "firearm"), it could be done and meet the regs. If the barrel can be easily replaced, like an AR barrel, where the barrel/receiver are not basically one unit, then the ATF wouldn't allow it as the barrel isn't considered the "firearm"
    Could you please show me EXACTLY in the NFA handbook where it states that. Nobody has been able to back up that claim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast