Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cheap Long Range Setup

I'm curious to get thoughts on the feasibility of putting together a long range setup for very cheap. With today's options for entry level bolt actions that typically come in at sub-MOA perhaps it's not impossible.

Suppose the shooter did his part with:

-Ruger American in 30-06 or 308 - left handed [I know perhaps something like 6.5 creedmoor may be better, but '06 or 308 does have practicality wins for me]. I would be relying on factory ammo.
    -mid-high magnification scope in the $600 range

Capability to consistently hit 3'x3' plates at 800-1000yds would be the target.

Could it work? Is spending money on glass more effective than spending money on a rifle?
    Last edited by jthrelf; March 30th, 2018 at 10:28 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Cheap Long Range Setup

Define long range. A lot of very good platforms out there.

What is long range to you? Then I may be able to form a better opinion. DC
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

You are asking a lot considering you don't want to spend much money. LH rifles always cost more than RH rifles.

Good glass is equally as important as a good rifle. Cannot expect to hit target if you cannot see it...cannot expect to hit the target with a cheap rifle.

Your post is very vague to say the least. What exactly is it that you want to accomplish with this rifle. Some people consider shooting beyond 100 yards to be long range as I'd say half of the members on this forum have not shot past 100 yards.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry realized as soon as I posted I left my definition of long range out. My desire would be man sized accuracy at 800 yards. 1000 yards would be gravy.

(Lancaster County)

Expect to spend as much or more on good glass (scope). I think cheap in this case is going to be around a grand for a decent rifle and the same for a scope... If this is a long term hobby, you really want to start reloading and matching the bullets to your rifle

just my 2 cents.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

If you aren't willing to spend a ton of cash....this works. There are many people doing this just to do it. Is it great? No. Can it work? Yes. Do SOME people who spent cash on Nightforce scopes get ass hurt when this works? Yes. I say go for it and have fun. If you rarely shoot "long range", it doubles as a handy hunting rifle that doesn't weigh in at 20 pounds.

(Chester County)

There are a lot of used setups out there that you can pick up on a budget if you are patient enough. Buying a new “cheaper”rifle like an American would require getting lucky in getting one that has a good enough barrel. The LH thing is what’s going to hurt since your options will be restricted. Why don’t you post a looking to buy in the classifieds and see if anyone has something they are willing to part with.

(Bucks County)

Check out what Dan Newberry has to say about "what can do the job" on the home page of his Bang Steel: http://www.bangsteel.com/home.html

Read at least that whole first page, and perhaps more. I've spent a day with Dan out to 1200 (very successfully) and 1 mile (quite unsuccessfully lol) with a re barreled 50+ year-old Rem 700 in 30-06 (and a CZ750 in 308 out to 940yds before my scope ran out of elevation). Not a bad way to spend a day either . . . well, in my case 2 or 3 days given a 500mi drive to get there.

American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore and no you don’t need a $1K optic either especially for 1000 yards and under.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast