Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Night vision for coyote.

Wasn't sure where I wanted to put this..., optics or hunter, so I put it here for now.

There's a coyote pack in my valley that works its way up and down the valley all night long. I've heard them as close in my back yard, and I've heard them terrorizing a down valley neighbor's dogs.

When I get the stamp back for my can, I'd like to start picking them off at night.

What sort of night vision do yinz recommend? Scope? Goggles? Etc?

Thanks
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Night vision for coyote.

Don't take this as a criticism from a PETA member, as I do hunt and trap coyote occasionally if I have the time. I'm not opposed to killing them. But are you hunting them for pelts or just shooting them because they bother you?

Can't offer anything on night vision optics as I hunt them during the day.

ETA: Hunting Digest makes no reference to using night vision other than to prohibit electronics that project a beam onto the game (e.g., laser sight). Looks like they are lawful to use for hunting since coyote can be hunted at night, unlike big game.
    Last edited by Sandcut; March 30th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Tioga County)

I use night vision optics operationally for work 6-7 nights of the month. With night optics I believe in general you get what you pay for. For citizen use when I go to buy, I will be getting the latest white phosphor autogated PVS-14 I can get. I like the white phosphor over the green, detail to the eye is much better and it looks more natural. With a good autogated PVS-14 you can even drive with it, giving you a mesh of detail in the headlights and being able to see beyond the headlights. Personally I would rather just pay the $4000 for the white phosphor autogated PVS-14 over a cheaper $2-$3k PVS-14. If you want to be really bad ass, I used the white phosphor PVS-31s and while being over $10K they work exceptionally well. My typical work wear is a PVS-21 and some like them, some don't, but they are good as well but pricey.

For the PVS-14 you also need to make sure they are weapon rated if you choose to mount them on a rifle.

The cheaper stuff, well it's out there, but it is worth it? Most of it I think is gimmicky. I think good value is some of the surplus German, Spanish and US PVS-4 type surplus scopes out there. Priced between $400-$1000, they provide a reasonable image and are designed as purpose built integral weapon sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Don't take this as a criticism from a PETA member, as I do hunt and trap coyote occasionally if I have the time. I'm not opposed to killing them. But are you hunting them for pelts or just shooting them because they bother you?

Can't offer anything on night vision optics as I hunt them during the day.

ETA: Hunting Digest makes no reference to using night vision other than to prohibit electronics that project a beam onto the game (e.g., laser sight). Looks like they are lawful to use for hunting since coyote can be hunted at night, unlike big game.
    Pest control.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I use night vision optics operationally for work 6-7 nights of the month. With night optics I believe in general you get what you pay for. For citizen use when I go to buy, I will be getting the latest white phosphor autogated PVS-14 I can get. I like the white phosphor over the green, detail to the eye is much better and it looks more natural. With a good autogated PVS-14 you can even drive with it, giving you a mesh of detail in the headlights and being able to see beyond the headlights. Personally I would rather just pay the $4000 for the white phosphor autogated PVS-14 over a cheaper $2-$3k PVS-14. If you want to be really bad ass, I used the white phosphor PVS-31s and while being over $10K they work exceptionally well. My typical work wear is a PVS-21 and some like them, some don't, but they are good as well but pricey.

For the PVS-14 you also need to make sure they are weapon rated if you choose to mount them on a rifle.

The cheaper stuff, well it's out there, but it is worth it? Most of it I think is gimmicky. I think good value is some of the surplus German, Spanish and US PVS-4 type surplus scopes out there. Priced between $400-$1000, they provide a reasonable image and are designed as purpose built integral weapon sights.
    Thank you!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

What opinion do you have if any regarding N.V. v Thermal? I've worn NV while flying da choppa, but I don't have any experience with thermal weapon scopes
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

It's pretty amazing the amount of coyotes that are around - literally everywhere.

Since they were mentioned on the local news last night I was Googling info on sightings in the Pittsburgh area and the results come back with various locations and literally every year going back quite a few years.

I had not heard of sightings in my area until last year. Mrs EM says to keep a close eye out when letting the dogs out at night. I first thought "Why? we have a fence", but I understand that they can scale chain link fences pretty easily.
    Not sure a coyote would want to tangle with a pit mix or two, but they might not have a choice if the dogs come out of the house like they usually do - like they have rockets in their asses. Bunnies have thus far narrowly escaped, but they know to stay near the spot where they can scoot under the fence real quick.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    What opinion do you have if any regarding N.V. v Thermal? I've worn NV while flying da choppa, but I don't have any experience with thermal weapon scopes
    I don't have a huge amount of experience with thermal. I have used night optic goggles where you could switch between thermal and regular night vision. Those were $50K goggles so probably not an applicable experience, but I found being able to switch between the two aided in target recognition and other things. Of what I have seen with thermal, if I was hunting or for home defense I would stick to the latest autogated white phosphor PVS-14 and then you can combine it with an IR light as coyotes apparently can't see IR and most likely the "enemy" such as a home invader isn't going to have night optics on to see your IR light(unless this is the Patriot Games). To be clear I'd take the PVS-14 over a thermal sight.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's pretty amazing the amount of coyotes that are around - literally everywhere.

Since they were mentioned on the local news last night I was Googling info on sightings in the Pittsburgh area and the results come back with various locations and literally every year going back quite a few years.

I had not heard of sightings in my area until last year. Mrs EM says to keep a close eye out when letting the dogs out at night. I first thought "Why? we have a fence", but I understand that they can scale chain link fences pretty easily.
    Not sure a coyote would want to tangle with a pit mix or two, but they might not have a choice if the dogs come out of the house like they usually do - like they have rockets in their asses. Bunnies have thus far narrowly escaped, but they know to stay near the spot where they can scoot under the fence real quick.
    So far from my experience lone coyotes seem to try to avoid humans and go about their business quietly. I have a lone one that lives on the property. Rarely seen in day, he's out at night walking around. Wouldn't know he was there if it wasn't for the trail cam. A few years ago had a pack of them around carousing and attacking cows and then the farmers down the street started plinking them at night and got rid of that. They seem to get more emboldened when they pack up together and I've had them right up on the house howling and yipping.

On my list of things to get...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-MILITAR...QAAOSwfZ1WYnGi

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761168770

Turn the volume down, annoying noise..

The spotlight is to reach out further than the scopes light.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast