Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question "obtained" a pistol from someone that owed me money

I obtained a PT25 from a guy that owed me alot more money than the gun is worth. He didn't give it to me for pay, the dumbass left it behind after he vacated from my house that he was renting. I found it between the mattresses along with abrand new kids baseball glove. I'm guessing that the pistol was supposed to be a Christmas gift for the fiance and the glove was supposed to be for his kid.

It was lightly used if used at all. And he has dropped off the map. Was into drugs, fiance left him, lost his job, house and cars. No one knows where he is.

How to I make this gun legallay mine? I already had the numbers run. It's clean.

Also, while living in Georgia for a short while, I purchased an OLD Ruger Single Six .22 cal for $75 from an elderly co-worker. I did that before I was smart on gun purchasing laws.

Any help on these two issues?

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: "obtained" a pistol from someone that owed me money

I am far from a lawyer, but if the numbers are clean I think you are fine since there was no purchase. I dunno though. I was gifted a revolver from my dad (who lives in MD) and I don't think I need to worry about anything.

(Lycoming County)

If it is not stolen, as stated, do you not remember getting the PT25 in GA also, with the other one?. Man, try some Ginkobiloba (sp?), I can not believe you do not remember getting that firearm in GA.

Be safe (and do memory drills).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Delcoadvocate View Post
    I obtained a PT25 from a guy that owed me alot more money than the gun is worth. He didn't give it to me for pay, the dumbass left it behind after he vacated from my house that he was renting. I found it between the mattresses along with abrand new kids baseball glove. I'm guessing that the pistol was supposed to be a Christmas gift for the fiance and the glove was supposed to be for his kid.

It was lightly used if used at all. And he has dropped off the map. Was into drugs, fiance left him, lost his job, house and cars. No one knows where he is.

How to I make this gun legallay mine? I already had the numbers run. It's clean.

Also, while living in Georgia for a short while, I purchased an OLD Ruger Single Six .22 cal for $75 from an elderly co-worker. I did that before I was smart on gun purchasing laws.

Any help on these two issues?
    Curious here, how, where did you have the numbers run? Also, any chance the drug guy would report it as stolen...like he doesn't remember where he left it and thinks it was stolen? Thant might be a concern.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know, the facts you provided would lead me to contemplate turning it in to the cops. The value of the gun is not worth the possibility of it bitting you in the ass later if you decide to keep it.
    Toujours prêt

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't know, the facts you provided would lead me to contemplate turning it in to the cops. The value of the gun is not worth the possibility of it bitting you in the ass later if you decide to keep it.
    After further consideration, what HiredGoon said and now this post, I retract my advice. Especially, as Hawk states, it is not worth the risk.

Sorry, I got excited for ya' Maybe ask the Sheriff.

Be safe.

Scott

(Luzerne County)

I would check with a lawyer. You stated that he was renting your house. And that he owed you money "I assume for rent". The contents of the house may be yours.

Again check with a lawyer. Some of them do the first consult for free.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Curious here, how, where did you have the numbers run? Also, any chance the drug guy would report it as stolen...like he doesn't remember where he left it and thinks it was stolen? That might be a concern.
    I had the gun checked by a local officer that is a personal friend with the understanding that if it didn't come back clean, I'd turn it in. He had no information for me about transferring it though, which didn't surprise me.

I'm not concerned about the individual turning in the gun. It's been several years now, and still, no one knows where he is. Last time he was seen, it was reported that he had lost a ton of weight and did not look healthy at all. He had a bad back, and was addicted to pain killers when I knew him. Sounds like he moved on to heavier stuff. His record is so bad now, even if he did make a claim, I dont think it'd be taken seriously. No way he has record of the initial purchase any more.
    Last edited by Delcoadvocate; September 25th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: "obtained" a pistol from someone that owed me money

as for him renting the place, it was by hand shake only and in Maryland. And I got bit in the ass for doing a friend a favor. Not only did he not pay me any rent, but he also ran up the utility bills, including $900 in oil for heat, and left it all to me. This happened while I was out of the country for 6 months while on company business. Was a nice trip with a bad ending.

Trust me, if I knew where this guy was, I'd gladly give him back his PT25, straight up the poop chute with a twist for good measure.

That being said, a realty lawyer can't help me because there is no lease signed, his where abouts are unknown and although his possessions might have been surrendered to me, there would still have to be a transfer made through a FFL.

I was just wondering if there was a way to do it. Figured if you can register a car that has no title by jumping through a few hoops, maybe there was a way to do it with a fire arm too.

(Butler County)

Well there must be alot of this going on cause i just got a bow and a new marlin 30/30 in much the same manner. The last 2 days we been cleaning out a trailer that was abandoned. THe guy left EVERYthing and the place thoroughly trashed. But in the very last place i was checking out, bam there she blows.

The guys is far from long gone. He moved in with his brother, also in my park. But this was after a 6 month disappearance. He paid me for the destroyed refrigerator, but i ate the rest. Then its been another 5 months i gave him to get his stuff out. He's been watching us fill a dumptster for days.. and hasnt offered to help or say a word.

I'll post pics later, but as for the OP, if you can verify that its not stolen or used in a crime, its yours. Any of the cautions suggested above though should be headed, cause you never know. But the law states its the obligation of the seller to do a transfer, not the purchaser.

Im not a lawyer but i play one on da internetz.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast