Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking for a single action smith

I am looking to have some work done on my Ruger SBH. I wish to have the trigger lightened without simply swapping springs or taking a leg of the hammer spring off. I'm not looking to increase an already "forever long" lock time. I shoot the pistol pretty well, but would appreciate having it cleaned up a little. I am not comfortable stoning the sear engagement surfaces myself. I would prefer to have someone do this job who has done many of them. I know it's pretty straight forward but would like it to be a single action "pro" so to speak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The western part of the state would be preferred but I would be willing to ship it to the right guy.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking for a single action smith

Look for a gunsmith that does cowboy action shooting work. Those smiths would have done numerous single action ruger trigger jobs. Encks Gun Barn is one in PA that I know of.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I am looking to have some work done on my Ruger SBH. I wish to have the trigger lightened without simply swapping springs or taking a leg of the hammer spring off. I'm not looking to increase an already "forever long" lock time. I shoot the pistol pretty well, but would appreciate having it cleaned up a little. I am not comfortable stoning the sear engagement surfaces myself. I would prefer to have someone do this job who has done many of them. I know it's pretty straight forward but would like it to be a single action "pro" so to speak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The western part of the state would be preferred but I would be willing to ship it to the right guy.

Lightening the hammer spring will increase lock time no matter what. When you lighten the hammer spring, it has less "energy" to drive the hammer forward, thus the hammer becomes slower = longer lock time. To counter this, you must then lower the mass of the hammer.

First thing I would have done is sear engagement stone-work for a better trigger. If that doesn't satisfy you, then consider lighter hammer springs. If lock time is worse after the spring-work, then you may want to consider a lighter hammer. ...which then throws your money away on the stoning you performed on the hammer/sear. (will probably have to stone the new parts)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Lightening the hammer spring will increase lock time no matter what. When you lighten the hammer spring, it has less "energy" to drive the hammer forward, thus the hammer becomes slower = longer lock time. To counter this, you must then lower the mass of the hammer.

First thing I would have done is sear engagement stone-work for a better trigger. If that doesn't satisfy you, then consider lighter hammer springs. If lock time is worse after the spring-work, then you may want to consider a lighter hammer. ...which then throws your money away on the stoning you performed on the hammer/sear. (will probably have to stone the new parts)
    I thought I made it pretty clear I only wanted sear engagement cleaned up???

Quote Originally Posted by awfroadan View Post
    Look for a gunsmith that does cowboy action shooting work. Those smiths would have done numerous single action ruger trigger jobs. Encks Gun Barn is one in PA that I know of.
    Thank you.

(Northampton County)

Andy Horvath over in Ohio did a Blackhawk for me recently, an absolute work of art. Full power hammer spring, crisp 3.5# letoff.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Andy Horvath over in Ohio did a Blackhawk for me recently, an absolute work of art. Full power hammer spring, crisp 3.5# letoff.
    Thank you!