Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Talking Long Range Rifle trainer in 22lr

I've been in the market for a bolt action 22lr to use as a trainer. I've been shopping for something that would closely resemble the weight/feel of my 308 bolt gun I use for long range shooting and sniper matches.

I needed something I can pratice position shooting and drills for cheap. Not to mention something that is small and quiet so there are many more places I can shoot without pissing off neighbors, etc. Shoot more, shoot better.

I stumbled on this one (rem 504T) and I think I found something that matches up pretty well. Rifle weighs 8.5 lbs without scope/rings. I put a matching TIS sling and Eagle stock pack on it. It shoulders much like the 308 but is a bit lighter. 20" match chambered barrel. 0.9" at the muzzle. Laminate wood stock. Nice trigger with a 3.5lb pull. I tossed a Leupold Mk4 scope and rings on it for now that I took off of a doner rifle.

I had a chance to zero it. 5, 5 shot groups averaged about 0.4" at 50 yards. I didn't have time to take it out further or test different ammo but I did find a cigarrette but laying on the dirt berm at 200 yards. It wasn't a windy day so I had no problem pinging it. I left the range very happy.

This is the first wood stocked rifle I own!

Next to big brother GAP .308

(Pike County)

Default Re: Long Range Rifle trainer in 22lr

nice,as a trainer I use my old full camo Marlin glenfield 25 bushnell scope,harris bipod nice weight added with a muzzlebrak,not as sweet as yours but they are really handy to train,good luck with that beauty...
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Centre County)

Default Re: Long Range Rifle trainer in 22lr

Thanks.

I have a couple of man sillouette targets for 22lr made by LV Steel Targets

http://www.lvsteeltargets.com/

I have the small man head and small man chest targets. I need to try them out yet though. Toss them in the truck and depending on where I go i can set up a mini range to practice.

Besides, I haven't been squirrel hunting in 17 years. Maybe I can start up again.