My daughter seems to be the competitive sort. Maybe watching me compete (back when I was unbroken) fueled her desires. Maybe shooting side by side at the dueling tree didn't help, either. So, I started looking for something for her (and I) to get into- something cheap, easy to do, and use equipment we already have.

Back at the Sportsman's show in Harrisburg, we looked into cowboy action shooting. I love that they have two different classes for children, but I do not have all the clothing or especially, I don't have any of the cowboy guns. We have Walther P-22's that run like tops, and a Ruger 10/22's that are great, and that's what we would like to use.

I tried to look into the NSSF rimfire steel challenge, but now called RCSA, or did they change their name to something else by now? That competition seems like it would be the easiest for her to transition into- the safety rules are easy to work with, she already has all the equipment, and she likes speed.

The hard part, is that I'm having trouble finding a nearby competition on a SUNDAY. That is my biggest caveat, it has to be a Sunday. Most competitions seem to be held on Saturday.

I am not a member of a shooting club, I have access to a great range on private property, so I am out of the loop about what is available within a 1 to 1 1/2 hour driving range from the Harrisburg area.