Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Rimfire competitions to get my daughter into?

My daughter seems to be the competitive sort. Maybe watching me compete (back when I was unbroken) fueled her desires. Maybe shooting side by side at the dueling tree didn't help, either. So, I started looking for something for her (and I) to get into- something cheap, easy to do, and use equipment we already have.

Back at the Sportsman's show in Harrisburg, we looked into cowboy action shooting. I love that they have two different classes for children, but I do not have all the clothing or especially, I don't have any of the cowboy guns. We have Walther P-22's that run like tops, and a Ruger 10/22's that are great, and that's what we would like to use.

I tried to look into the NSSF rimfire steel challenge, but now called RCSA, or did they change their name to something else by now? That competition seems like it would be the easiest for her to transition into- the safety rules are easy to work with, she already has all the equipment, and she likes speed.

The hard part, is that I'm having trouble finding a nearby competition on a SUNDAY. That is my biggest caveat, it has to be a Sunday. Most competitions seem to be held on Saturday.

I am not a member of a shooting club, I have access to a great range on private property, so I am out of the loop about what is available within a 1 to 1 1/2 hour driving range from the Harrisburg area.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Rimfire competitions to get my daughter into?

(Dauphin County)

Thank you, Sir! I think you've hit the nail on the head- exactly what I've been looking for. The next match isn't until May, so I've got some time to get her up to speed and work on her safety etiquette.

I'd love to take her to an Appleseed event, but I highly doubt she is ready to endure an entire two days of shooting and instruction. In a year or two.

(Adams County)

Southern Lancaster Sportsman Acc has Monthly PA Steel Shoots $10 they have 22 and youth divisions.
    Hell is other people

Find a local Appleseed event for both of you to go to and see if something sparks there. It might be better for both of you since the instructors will work with her more then you taking any tension out of the experience for both of you.

(Dauphin County)

Due to an overwhelming work schedule, I hadn't a chance to get my daughter to the match until last Sunday. She had a great time, and my son (four years the younger) was even given a chance to shoot. I would like to thank the members of the PSA for hosting such an enjoyable, easy-going but safe shoot, their patience, and taking the time to help me with them.

They want to go back each weekend until the matches are over for the season. I just hope they learn and grow from these experiences! It was also great to see other children there shooting a stage or two, having fun. This is a great way to foster a relationship in the sport.

Here's a picture of little Miss Gun-bunny and her little brother- Master Gun-bunny having fun between stages:

IMG_20180826_102210595_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180826_104147110.jpg
    Last edited by gun-bunny; August 27th, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

(Mercer County)

Are there any IHMSA matches near you?
    Slower paced, but more emphasis on precision at longer ranges.